Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: AMD Radeon HD 7970 Quad CrossFireX Stomps...

Past Administrator

Re: AMD Radeon HD 7970 Quad CrossFireX Stomps...

In the advanced sharing options, make sure you have password sharing turned OFF. (It is ON by default). This will help sometimes.

Also, it is really simple to do if they are on the same HomeGroup. Did you set one up yet? Very nice way to share with Win7 - makes it a breeze, really so I would suggest doing one.

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    In the advanced sharing options, make sure you have password sharing turned OFF. (It is ON by default). This will help sometimes.

Also, it is really simple to do if they are on the same HomeGroup. Did you set one up yet? Very nice way to share with Win7 - makes it a breeze, really so I would suggest doing one.
    I thought I had a Homegroup set up but who knows, I had the passwoed shut off on 1 Box but not the other so I shut that one off too, there's so many freaking options & menus to sift thru it's easy to have different things checked. One Win 7 Box can see the other one but has no access to the files, the Other Win 7 Box doesn't even see the other Win 7 Box, D'oh. You'd think if 1 can see the other then that one would see the other one too ... Good old Microsoft making it Twice as hard each succeeding OS that comes out & professing all along their making it a easier user experience ...

I have BOINC CPU Wu's running on the Box but no GPU Wu's yet, gonna try Collatz or Poem 1'st & see what happens, Slicker released some files & some guys say they work sooooo I'll give it a try ...

Friend of SETI.USA

I think I know the problem why one can see the other one but that one can't see the other one. One isn't joined to the Homegroup but wants me to give it a Password from the other one before it will let me join that Box to the Homegroup. I have Sharing Password Turned off on both Win 7 Box's so there should be no Password needed ???

Friend of SETI.USA

The 2 Win 7 Box's see each other now & I can access files on both of them with each other so that's fixed anyway. Now BOINCView & BoincTasks can't see the other Win 7 Box for some reason. The Win 7 Box that I use to Monitor my box's see's it's self but not the other Win 7 Box with either BOINCView or BoincTasks so it's probably something that needs to be added to the one that it can't see ??? Advanced Permissions or something like that ??? I need to fix that first before installing Win 7 on any more Box's or I'll end up not being able to Monitor any of them ...

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    The 2 Win 7 Box's see each other now & I can access files on both of them with each other so that's fixed anyway. Now BOINCView & BoincTasks can't see the other Win 7 Box for some reason. The Win 7 Box that I use to Monitor my box's see's it's self but not the other Win 7 Box with either BOINCView or BoincTasks so it's probably something that needs to be added to the one that it can't see ??? Advanced Permissions or something like that ??? I need to fix that first before installing Win 7 on any more Box's or I'll end up not being able to Monitor any of them ...
    That is probably do to your firewall as BOINC uses RPC (Remote Procedure Call) for remote communications. But RPC is not secure and has quite a few vulnerabilities so most firewalls block RPC by default. Check firewall settings for something like "Allow RPC" or "Trusted Computers". Enabling either will allow RPC exchanges.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    That is probably do to your firewall as BOINC uses RPC (Remote Procedure Call) for remote communications. But RPC is not secure and has quite a few vulnerabilities so most firewalls block RPC by default. Check firewall settings for something like "Allow RPC" or "Trusted Computers". Enabling either will allow RPC exchanges.
    Probably is something to do with the Firewall's in the 2 Win 7 Box's, I shut off the Firewall & now can monitor the 2 Win 7 Box's again with BOINCView or BoincTasks. That's something I do on all my Win XP Box's too as soon as I install the OS or re-install the OS & it solves a lot of problems but hadn't done it on the 2 Win 7 Box's yet. I looked around for RPC Settings or Trusted Computers but couldn't find anything. No big deal for me to have the Firewalls turned off as there's nothing on my Computers of any importance or use to anyone unless they want to look at BOINC Files ... lol

Gold Member

Create a rule on each machine in the Windows 7 firewall to allow incoming TCP protocol on port 31416 from any computer.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Create a rule on each machine in the Windows 7 firewall to allow incoming TCP protocol on port 31416 from any computer.
    I've done TCP, Subnet & IP Range Rules but if the Firewalls are on in the 2 Win 7 Box's then none of the other Computers can see them & BOINCView & BoincTasks can't see them either. Tried leaving the Home Firewall on & Public off same thing ...

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    I've done TCP, Subnet & IP Range Rules but if the Firewalls are on in the 2 Win 7 Box's then none of the other Computers can see them & BOINCView & BoincTasks can't see them either. Tried leaving the Home Firewall on & Public off same thing ...
    OK, I think I found it reason. According to the Microsoft|TechNet article: Create Inbound Rules to Support RPC... (Link) and a Blog by Jeff Graves: Using RPC custom port range with Windows Firewall (Link) the problem is due to Svchost.exe and Lsass.exe. Which makes sense as most if not all network communication is done through these two services. They sorta act as a proxy service for most network calls. Anyhoot, give the TechNet article a good read. It should point you in the right direction. Just realize the only port you need to worry about is 31416.

Hope this helps.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

Okay I'll take a look at the article, Thanks F$ ...

Have both 7970's running in 1 Box, was running Milkyway all day, from my calculations the 2 7970's should be able to get 600k plus a day. Running POEM on them right now as I want to hit a few MM's there & it will take time to do it even with the added 7970's. Looks like POEM & Milkyway & Collatz are the only 3 Projects right now that the 7970's can be run at but that should increase as the Dev's work out problems using them at their Projects.
    Last edited by STE\/E; 01-30-12 at 07:54 PM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789