Thread: I am excited..Just bougth my first LED ligth bulb!

Past Admin

I am excited..Just bougth my first LED ligth bulb!

I just today bougth my very first LED ligthbulb. Itīs a freaking low 7W and is replacing a 40W normal ligth bulb.

Compared to "normal" energysaving ligthbulbs this one can last 30.000 hours, which basicly means that if I use it for 6 hours a day - I will just have to replace it......in 13 years!! They also have the benefit that they turn on instant - compared to "normal" energysaving ligthbulb who need some 5-7 seconds to get up to speed so to speak..

I am really excited about this bulb, and will definately buy some more as replacements are needed..

Just for the heck of it...I listed ALL my bulbs in a spreadsheet with wattage. I then added a column for LED bulbs in the same places....The energy saved could amount as much as 450$ a year! And that is one ligthbulbs alone!! And if the energy price keeps going up, then the amount of saved $ get even higher....!
    Last edited by Beerdrinker; 01-28-12 at 07:08 AM.
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Silver Member

Re: I am excited..Just bougth my first LED ligth bulb!

I have been slowly replacing my incandecent light bulbs with the energy saver florecent bulbs but i find em to be annoying and hate the light they produce specially in ceiling fans the only place if find em to be great are for lamps with shades. Im really interested in the led lights but heard they were more directional. Please let me know what your using as i would love to try one out.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    I have been slowly replacing my incandecent light bulbs with the energy saver florecent bulbs but i find em to be annoying and hate the light they produce specially in ceiling fans the only place if find em to be great are for lamps with shades. Im really interested in the led lights but heard they were more directional. Please let me know what your using as i would love to try one out.
    Hey.

I bougth a budget LED bulb on sale. Itīs not an Osram or Phillips...I am not sure if they make those outside Europe. The thing is....That in Denmark the normal ligthbulbs is now forbidden my law. Since Denmark is a part of the Kyoto agreement, they signed a agreement to decrease the pollution to the Ozone over the next 20 years. For the end consumer in Denmark, it means that we can no longer buy 100W, 75W and 60W ligthbulbs. And as of 1 July this year the 40W also go.

So we have no other choice.

The ligth coming from the LED bulb is kinda brigth. Think of the ligth on a sunny day in a snowy area...The LED bulb is on 80% ligth in less than a second - so it really feels like a normal bulb. Compared to the normal energysaving bulbs like this:
    e14-2-13.jpg

the LED is very brigth. As for using them in direct environment..(as reading lamp, celiing or whatever) I suggest you go with Phillps as they produce some with a greater "wide-spread" ligth. They even produce some that you can dimm....
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

@Beer: Excellent!!! I have been trying to get the family here (Aunt & Uncle) to understand the benefits of LED lighting. For some reason they cannot get passed the prices to see the potential in energy cost savings ........

@coronicus: That will depend on the design of the lenses on the LEDs themselves as well as the construction of bulb. Clear LED lenses and a clear or smooth coated bulb will give you more directed lighting. But LEDs can have light defusing lenses and the bulbs can have special coatings to defuse light and/or have a patterned internal surface that helps to defuse light. The downside to defusing is a slightly reduced total light output but that can be compensated for by using brighter LEDs or adding additional LED units.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

100W incandescent bulbs are no longer available in the USA. 75W are next year, then 60W the year after that, etc. so it gives those who don't like the CFLs (and can afford the electricity) time to stockpile the old ones.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Platinum Member

I've replaced about 90% of mine with the CFL's, but I really don't like the white light they produce. I'm hoping with the release of the LED bulbs, that they give you a choice of the color you can purchase. I also just read an article that says if you are trying to grow indoor plants, that they prefer red and blue light produced by the LED's.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Gold Member

We've replaced all the chandelier lights with LED ones, but they are still quite expensive. I'd like to replace more, but yeah they are a lot more expensive than even the CFLs. Better for energy costs, but upfront costs can be ouchie.