Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Consumption Question

Silver Member

Power Consumption Question

I am curious if this kit would use less power than a 1.8Ghz P4 and a 1.81Ghz AMD Sempron? Considering sending one or both to the PC graveyard.

EDIT: I just noticed this kit as well... Hmmm do I splurge or no...
    Last edited by Crazybob's Son; 01-31-12 at 07:19 PM.

Silver Member

Re: Power Consumption Question

Might want to think about donation to the <Hydra Project> aka the Seti.USA Cluster.

I am sure that the guys putting the cluster together will hit you up too!

It's for the greater good after all.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob's Son View Post
    I am curious if this kit would use less power than a 1.8Ghz P4 and a 1.81Ghz AMD Sempron? Considering sending one or both to the PC graveyard.

EDIT: I just noticed this kit as well... Hmmm do I splurge or no...
    AMD 830 TDP = 95W
    Intel P4 (Wilmette) 1.8Ghz TDP = 66.1W [Intel P4 Wilmette spec list (Link)]

For the Sempron it depends on which 1.8Ghz version [AMD Sempron List (Link)]

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    AMD 830 TDP = 95W
    Intel P4 (Wilmette) 1.8Ghz TDP = 66.1W [Intel P4 Wilmette spec list (Link)]

For the Sempron it depends on which 1.8Ghz version [AMD Sempron List (Link)]
    Socket 754 3000+ which according to that site is 62w.

So total between the two is 128.1w which I would then save 33.1w if I went to the Quad or Hex-core build. Oh and neither machine has a GPU.

Past Administrator

The PhenomII X6 that you want is the 1035t or 1045t, @ only 95 Watts it is comparable in load to the quad cores, but they O/C like crazy, and will spank the socks off any quad when crunching. My 1035t does 3.5 to 3.6GHz easy - that's a whole 1GHz O/C!
    I'd say each core is easily 2 to 3x as powerful as that P4 core, so you'd be getting anywhere from 4 to 6 times the crunching power of both those older CPUs put together, and for less watts. Sounds like a deal, right? Hmmm...and then we ask the wife... hehehe

Past Administrator

Socket 754 3000+ which according to that site is 62w.

So total between the two is 128.1w which I would then save 33.1w if I went to the Quad or Hex-core build. Oh and neither machine has a GPU.
    Ah, OK.

I need to point out an error that a lot of people make. The specification for TDP relates to the max "Heat Output" that a CPU generates under max. load. Therefore it is directly related to the chips power efficiency, power used to do work vs. power wasted as heat. What it is not is a measurement of electrical power or P = I * E. Where P = Power in Watts, I = Current in Amps and E = Electromotive Force (Electricity) in Volts.

The thing is Intel & AMD know how much power their chips draw but almost never publicly list it. Guess if the average person knew how much current their CPUs sucked up they would totally freak out and go back to the Abacus.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Ah, OK.

I need to point out an error that a lot of people make. The specification for TDP relates to the max "Heat Output" that a CPU generates under max. load. Therefore it is directly related to the chips power efficiency, power used to do work vs. power wasted as heat. What it is not is a measurement of electrical power or P = I * E. Where P = Power in Watts, I = Current in Amps and E = Electromotive Force (Electricity) in Volts.

The thing is Intel & AMD know how much power their chips draw but almost never publicly list it. Guess if the average person knew how much current their CPUs sucked up they would totally freak out and go back to the Abacus.
    Either way though, if I pick up the 1 x6 system and shut down the two older systems I should still save a bit of electricity since the older machines are power hogs. Also another benefit... They added another $15 MIR on the motherboard today so this kit is only $285. Then if you use the revtrax $10 off of $100 it is only $275. I know that it only has one PCI-e slot but I don't have any additional cards to put in there at the moment and if I do add one then I can swap the PSU for one of the 550w psu's that I have laying around.

Past Administrator

Either way though, if I pick up the 1 x6 system and shut down the two older systems I should still save a bit of electricity since the older machines are power hogs. Also another benefit... They added another $15 MIR on the motherboard today so this kit is only $285. Then if you use the revtrax $10 off of $100 it is only $275. I know that it only has one PCI-e slot but I don't have any additional cards to put in there at the moment and if I do add one then I can swap the PSU for one of the 550w psu's that I have laying around.
    Great. Sounds like a plan. And remember pics of new tech are always welcome

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Great. Sounds like a plan. And remember pics of new tech are always welcome
    You asked for it I know I know, tiny and only one PCI-e slot....
    20120203_214023.jpg20120203_214142-2.jpg

Past Administrator

You asked for it I know I know, tiny and only one PCI-e slot....
    Nothing wrong with that. Good things come in small packages.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast