Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi there

Past Admin

Re: Hi there

WELCOME to the team!
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Gold Member

http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz...sterServer.pdf

For under $8K, you get dual Xeon X5690 CPUs, 48GB RAM, four 7970 GPUs, 3TB of storage, and a 1500W PSU to power it all. I'm fairly certain it would crank out between 1.5 and 2 million credits PER DAY when it isn't busy rendering videos!

Note: The motherboard only supports two SATA 3 drives, so don't bother spending the extra $50 per drive to make them all SATA 3. So... stripe the two SATA 3 drives for max data speed when reading/writing videos and use the SATA 2 drive for the operating system and programs.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by bobmarker View Post
    Ok, I've been sniffing around these boards for a while. Please don't laugh, but what exactly is the BOINC thing? I saw the FAQ but it assumes I already know what it does. Is there a link somewhere here on that?Sorry for the ignorance.
    Adding to what's already been said...

The purpose of BOINC is to provide a framework so scientific projects can use volunteer's computers to aid them with their research. This massive parallel processing computer network allows the project to complete their work much faster than if using their own limited computing resources. Because it is open source software, anyone with a project that can benefit from parallel processing can use BOINC. This includes universities, businesses, and even individuals. The volunteers earn credits based upon the amount of processing they have done. Credits, or cobblestones, have absolutely no value in the real world, but you do earn bragging rights within the BOINC community. For those who need something tangible, you can print a certificate from each project site where you participate which states the how many cobblestones you have accrued for that project. For example: "This certifies that Slicker [TopGun] has participated in Collatz Conjecture since 11 June 2009, and has contributed 80,943,290 Cobblestones of computation (69.94 quintillion floating-point operations) to Collatz Conjecture."

In addition to earning credits for yourself, you can also join a team. Each credit you earn then goes to both yourself and the team. Teams tend to be competitive by nature, but not all teams are created equally. Our team, SETI.USA, is the best team making it the obvious choice when choosing a team. Teams can represent countries, schools, businesses, hobbies, or organizations.

Also, what forum is the best for hardware related questions?
    This one: http://www.setiusa.us/forumdisplay.p...ade-Disucssion
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

GalaxyIce

Hi bobmarker. Like Slicker says, go for the go-faster stripes

Welcome to the team.

Silver Member

I'm new here. Looking to build a dual Xeon X5690 as a 3D render machine. Hope to get some pointers from people out here. I will post it on the right forum soon.

Thanks!
    Hiya Bob, welcome to the boards and it sounds like thats going to be one beast of a machine...

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Adding to what's already been said...
    ...not all teams are created equally. Our team, SETI.USA, is the best team making it the obvious choice when choosing a team...
    LOL! I love it! We need to post that line of reasoning in bold face type on every project's "about us" section and on our home page!!! haha

Seriously, Bob - welcome to the club.
    This is an awesome place, and actually quite a bit of knowledge in many different fields represented here. I will have to go take a look at your other thread in the hardware forum and see if I can offer any help at all...

GalaxyIce

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Our team, SETI.USA, is the best team making it the obvious choice when choosing a team.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    LOL! I love it! We need to post that line of reasoning in bold face type on every project's "about us" section and on our home page!!! haha

Seriously, Bob - welcome to the club.
    This is an awesome place, and actually quite a bit of knowledge in many different fields represented here. I will have to go take a look at your other thread in the hardware forum and see if I can offer any help at all...
    Hmmm, I have to say there is something in what's being said here Bob Let's face it, where else could it be so much fun and interesting?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12