Thread: Upgraded from dual 6128 > 6272 -- WEIRD PROBLEMS!

bobmarker

Upgraded from dual 6128 > 6272 -- WEIRD PROBLEMS!

Hopefully you guys can give me some pointers.

I just swapped out two Opteron 6128s from a Windows 7 (with SP1) system that was running fine. I replaced them with two 6272s.

The Asus MB POSTed just fine. I got my Windows splash page, but as soon as it is about to load the desktop, the system reboots.

Then it goes into the "run system repair" message from Windows. I say, sure, why not. But THAT ends up rebooting before it actually does its thing.

Then I have the computer boot from DVD to my Windows Ultimate DVD to do a fresh install. It loads, gives me the little progress bar thing at the bottom. And then JUST as it's shows the mouse arrow and is about to load the user agreement page, it reboots.

I have the latest BIOS (v2006) on the MB.

Not sure what to do from here. Can't seem to do anything to get Windows to work.

Any ideas? The computer gets through POST just fine. Seems to be a Windows problem. ???

bobmarker

Re: Upgraded from dual 6128 > 6272 -- WEIRD PROBLEMS!

Well, maybe it's not Windows. Something else is going on. I cannot load my Linux Ubuntu or Windows XP. Same thing happens right around the same time for both.

In Ubuntu I got an error message that displayed, but it wasn't on the screen long enough to write it down.

They all seem to be forced to reboot just before loading the desktop.

Any ideas where to even start trouble shooting?

Silver Member

i assume you had to remove the mb to replace the processors?

if so, i would reseat the ram, all the power connectors and all the drive connectos......basically all the connections at the motherboard

bobmarker

Quote Originally Posted by bmwr606 View Post
    i assume you had to remove the mb to replace the processors?

if so, i would reseat the ram, all the power connectors and all the drive connectos......basically all the connections at the motherboard
    Thanks. I got it fixed. I didnt' have to remove the MB.

For whatever reason, when I went through the bios, it had reverted the setting back to use ECC ram. I'm using 64GB or NON-ECC ram. I updated the bios a long time ago and it ran fine with the 6128 chips. Who knows why when I put the 6272 chips in it freaked out with the exact same bios settings it had before the switch.

I disabled the "use ECC ram" setting (or whatever it's called), and we're in business. Two 16-core chips are recognized in Windows and we're ready to do some major rendering with those 32-cores!

Thanks everyone!

Gold Member

A great way to break that bad boy in would be to jump in with us at the Simap challenge hint hint

bobmarker

Point me to a link where I can find out more, could ya? I really don't know anything about it.

Thanks!

Silver Member

Just click on tools in the BOINC manager, then attach to project selection, then click on SIMAP. Here's the URL if you need it.
    http://boincsimap.org/boincsimap/

Cruncher Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Fogle View Post
    Just click on tools in the BOINC manager, then attach to project selection, then click on SIMAP. Here's the URL if you need it.
    http://boincsimap.org/boincsimap/
    Actually if you are new to BOINC, there are some good information and links in our Home Page. Just look in the sections on BOINC including the Help section in the menu.