Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's been nibbling my coconut?

GalaxyIce

Who's been nibbling my coconut?

It's a good idea to put out food to attract wildlife. I tried a coconut and got this today;

click on photo for a larger photo

Who's been nibbling your coconut?
    Last edited by GalaxyIce; 02-12-12 at 12:59 PM.

Diamond Member

Re: Who's been nibbling my coconut?

Coconut where?

Past Admin

That is a cool idea. I got to try it sometime.

Diamond Member

Let us see who arrives first at Mike`s coconut.

People they are giving coconuts

GalaxyIce

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    Let us see who arrives first at Mike`s coconut.
    Not sure about elephants charging into my garden, but this heron was hanging around while I was watching
    my coconut. It's the best shot I have of a heron so far, landed in a garden next to my neighbour. He also
    has a pond but no coconut as far as I know

Diamond Member

Aha the heron was there for the coconut. I thought he was there to eat me. What a relief. That is why I used the Elephants. They are affraid of me you know.

Joking. All life is beautifull.

Joking Duke at Sundays.

Gold Member

My bird feeder holds 1 gallon of bird seed and is emptied daily. No, it isn't the birds that eat it all. They consume about 10%. No, it isn't the squirrels that eat it. The feeder is squirrel proof. They gave up years ago and focus only on the seeds that fall to the ground. No, it isn't the racoons that eat it. Ever since the neighbor stopped feeding them by hand after she got bitten and had to go through the series of rabies shots, they have pretty much vacated the area.

The reason it is empty are the wiley white-tail deer. One deer grabs a bird perch in its mouth and lifts the end up in the air. The seeds pour out of the 8 openings and the other deer, usually three to six of them catch the stream of seeds as they fall as if they were at a drinking fountain. The feeder just 8' away from the kitchen window. Ever wonder why a guy would bother driving 2 hours each way every weekend from October to December freezing his butt off sitting in a tree stand in hopes a deer will walk by when he would have such an easy shot from the warmth of his kitchen? The answer to that is that I don't think the neighbors would appreciate me following a blood trail through their yards as we live in the Chicago suburbs.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

GalaxyIce

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    My bird feeder holds 1 gallon of bird seed and is emptied daily. No, it isn't the birds that eat it all. They consume about 10%. No, it isn't the squirrels that eat it. The feeder is squirrel proof. They gave up years ago and focus only on the seeds that fall to the ground. No, it isn't the racoons that eat it. Ever since the neighbor stopped feeding them by hand after she got bitten and had to go through the series of rabies shots, they have pretty much vacated the area.

The reason it is empty are the wiley white-tail deer. One deer grabs a bird perch in its mouth and lifts the end up in the air. The seeds pour out of the 8 openings and the other deer, usually three to six of them catch the stream of seeds as they fall as if they were at a drinking fountain. The feeder just 8' away from the kitchen window. Ever wonder why a guy would bother driving 2 hours each way every weekend from October to December freezing his butt off sitting in a tree stand in hopes a deer will walk by when he would have such an easy shot from the warmth of his kitchen? The answer to that is that I don't think the neighbors would appreciate me following a blood trail through their yards as we live in the Chicago suburbs.
    You should maybe try a deer scarer, the bamboo Japanese kind. They clunk, clunk clunk all day long, but don't seem to scare the herons away from my pond. They definitely work with deer though because I haven't seen a single one here in my Surrey, UK garden

This dear little fella was taking a nibble at my coconut;

GalaxyIce

Here's another shot of a robin on my coconut

GalaxyIce

And now for something completely different.

Another bird on another coconut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast