Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PrimeGrid: Generalized Fermat Prime Search

Diamond Member

PrimeGrid: Generalized Fermat Prime Search

The Generalized Fermat Prime Search is now out of beta and open to all users. An Nvidia GPU with double precision floating point hardware is required for this project. Also, MacIntel CPU's are supported at the current N=262144 (b^2^18). A wealth of discussion has been gathered during the beta phase. For any issues or questions, please see the Generalized Fermat Prime Search forum. This search will eventually reach N=4194304 (b^2^22) which, if successful, has the potential of discovering the world's largest known prime number. Current testing times at N=262144 are ~1 hr for fast GPU's and ~7 hrs for fast MacIntel CPU's. Best of Luck to everyone!

More...

Past Admin

Re: PrimeGrid: Generalized Fermat Prime Search

Is it worth running this on your gpu? How is it paying out vs the PPS Sieve? If anyone knows.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    Is it worth running this on your gpu? How is it paying out vs the PPS Sieve? If anyone knows.
    We were just discussing it here:

http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php...ll=1#post33149

FYI, the only CPU app is for OSX. And hell YES, if you want max credits (for CPU), you should run it. 383 c/h on my Core2 mac.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Anyone else notice that the credits have more than doubled from 3600 to 8000 credits per task for GFN?

I'm getting about 9000 credits/hour per gpu on my gtx 590.

Diamond Member

We are on to a new "N", which will take up to as much as 4x of the original "N". They bumped the credit across all tasks for this sub project, and there are still a few of the old "N" floating around. So for those, you are getting a bonus in credits. Aslo, credits are still being evaluated. "Data is being gathered to help pinpoint a more reasonable level. Once that's established, a nice formula by Michael will be used to very accurately assign credit to each b/N task."

And heads up, it looks like there will eventually be TWO of these Fermat sub-projects, each using a different "N".

http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=4102

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    On my Linux box with a GTX 465, it was worse than both PPS(Sieve) and CW(Sieve) (at the time). It took me an hour and a half to get 3,600 credits.
    6r39 7r199

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    On my Linux box with a GTX 465, it was worse than both PPS(Sieve) and CW(Sieve) (at the time). It took me an hour and a half to get 3,600 credits.
    Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing. I may run it for badges but that is about it.

Diamond Member

One thing worth mentioning: The other GPU apps on PG are all sieve, so no change to find a prime. This one is LLR, so you may get your name on a list.

Administrator
    Has anyone else noticed a heat problem on their gpus with this project? My 570s were running way too hot and I had to disable the project. It's been about 6 months since the last good cleaning ...but wow, not seeing these temps anywhere else.

Silver Member

I been having heat issue with it but that might be more cause my old 8800 are slowly dieing. I know they added some number which is supose to control im guessing the cpu workload allowing it to feed the card more. At least that is my understanding of it, i know there is a thread about it on the forum just dont know which thread it was maybe someone can link that for ya. Im having such an issue with my internet atm that i constanly have to refresh pages to get it to show up or i would try to find it... This new uverse stuff has been nothing but a nightmare and now that i signed a 1 year contract im screwed for a year ugh...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast