Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PrimeGrid: Generalized Fermat Prime Search

Administrator
    Thanks, I'll see what I can find.

Gold Member

Re: PrimeGrid: Generalized Fermat Prime Search

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    Has anyone else noticed a heat problem on their gpus with this project? My 570s were running way too hot and I had to disable the project. It's been about 6 months since the last good cleaning ...but wow, not seeing these temps anywhere else.
    Yes, I had heat issues that were revealed by this project. My card temps went way up. I had cleaned my pc out with a can of air, but that didn't do it. I then took out the card and got every dust bunny out and now my card is running at lower temps. I think this project does run hotter than most, but a good cleaning of the card should do it. My temps were going up into the 90's C and now are down to around 67-69 with fan speed at 70%.

Administrator
    Cleaning is on the to-do list for tomorrow. Thanks for confirming.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    I been having heat issue with it but that might be more cause my old 8800 are slowly dieing. I know they added some number which is supose to control im guessing the cpu workload allowing it to feed the card more. At least that is my understanding of it, i know there is a thread about it on the forum just dont know which thread it was maybe someone can link that for ya. Im having such an issue with my internet atm that i constanly have to refresh pages to get it to show up or i would try to find it... This new uverse stuff has been nothing but a nightmare and now that i signed a 1 year contract im screwed for a year ugh...
    That sucks. When we had Uverse the Internet service was really good. It was the DVR's my Uncle wasn't happy with. They kept locking up for no apparent reason. I would suggest you raise a big stink and threaten to go Comcast if they can't fix the problem. Remember the contract works both ways. You could make them run new cable from the pole to your house (on their dime) if the current run is really old.

One thing you should check out on your end; if you have any cable runs inside your home that are un-terminated (connected to a phone or other device) then disconnect them from the CSU (Customer Service Unit, aka the grey box on the side of your house). Unconnected cables can cause serious problems with digital telecommunications. I used to work as a field service tech for a company that sold and serviced PBX & Voice Mail business systems. Old cabling was always a pain in the arse for the work I did.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    That sucks. When we had Uverse the Internet service was really good. It was the DVR's my Uncle wasn't happy with. They kept locking up for no apparent reason. I would suggest you raise a big stink and threaten to go Comcast if they can't fix the problem. Remember the contract works both ways. You could make them run new cable from the pole to your house (on their dime) if the current run is really old.

One thing you should check out on your end; if you have any cable runs inside your home that are un-terminated (connected to a phone or other device) then disconnect them from the CSU (Customer Service Unit, aka the grey box on the side of your house). Unconnected cables can cause serious problems with digital telecommunications. I used to work as a field service tech for a company that sold and serviced PBX & Voice Mail business systems. Old cabling was always a pain in the arse for the work I did.
    This one is a long story lol... it started back when i had dsl 6.0 which at the time my telephone cables ran on the south side of the house and the power lines on the north side leading to ground noise since i had two grounds. The dsl modem would time out allot. So had them drop a new line on the north side at the same spot as the power line so they would share the same ground which solved allot of issues for a while. I run a direct line from the box with the filter to the modem and nothing else. Then about 6 month ago they did some work on the street and had issues with the modem constanly going down example during the simap challenge i constantly have to sit there and hit retry a ton of times to load up on wu and websites always would stop loading half way through very frustrating. So when i called to complain they told me of course everything looks good and keep telling me its on my end, of course i was pissed and they said well why dont you upgrade to the uverse which will upgrade my modem for free get more speed for the same price, well I, uhm, was talked into it i guess lol. So the tech came out and guess what, when they were doing work on the lines on my street 6 months ago they reconnected the south side of the house so i had two live wires on the same main line and on top of that the jumper wire that went from the southend pole to the northend poll was hanging low. So i start telling the tech the story and he tells me NO that the house was always connected to the south pole and that the jumper wire was not my line. I wanted to shoot the man, seriouly, i have never been so upset in my life i just had to walk away, i had so many choice words going through my head. So after a few minutes he rings the door bell and asked me which line i was using and i told him the north only that the south line is dead and hasnt been used in over 10 years and slammed the door shut. so he cuts the south line but its still hanging on the pole so im sure everytime it rains im getting more noise from water drops building up at the end of the hanging cable and he didnt replace the jumper cable just tugged on it till it didnt hang so far down then told me he tested the line and hes getting the 12mbs and it looks clean and that was it. So now im back to constantly click refresh, or show pic, or retry on everything i do plus the modem redirect when it goes down reseting all my favorite to that redirect wether the modem is working or not making me reset IE or firefox to be able to use the favorites again. Anyhow thats my story and thank you for listening to me rant. lmao.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    Yes, I had heat issues that were revealed by this project. My card temps went way up. I had cleaned my pc out with a can of air, but that didn't do it. I then took out the card and got every dust bunny out and now my card is running at lower temps. I think this project does run hotter than most, but a good cleaning of the card should do it. My temps were going up into the 90's C and now are down to around 67-69 with fan speed at 70%.
    Ok, cleaning is done. It went way past dust bunny, I had a full grown cat in each of the 570's...wondered where those cats went. Removing the cats allowed me to overclock DiRT by 15%, turn off the box fan I had blowing air in the box and put the side panel back on (which is probably how the cats got in to begin with.) The top 570 held it's previous temp of 71C the lower 570 dropped by 18C to 69C. The only problem, I can't hear my gpus running. Guess I'll just have to live with it. Thanks for lighting a fire under me to do some maintenance.

Gold Member

So, the larger N=524288 tasks are now taking nearly 3 hours (2hr45min) on my GTX 590, for only 8000 credits. This is now on the low end of the GPU credits scale.

Comes out to about 2892 c/hr or 69405 c/day for a top end GPU (per core). I'm finishing my ruby badge and skedaddling.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    So, the larger N=524288 tasks are now taking nearly 3 hours (2hr45min) on my GTX 590, for only 8000 credits. This is now on the low end of the GPU credits scale.

Comes out to about 2892 c/hr or 69405 c/day for a top end GPU (per core). I'm finishing my ruby badge and skedaddling.
    You can also choose to run the REALLY long tasks instead. I made the switch, and it looks like they will take about 3 days to complete on a 580.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    You can also choose to run the REALLY long tasks instead. I made the switch, and it looks like they will take about 3 days to complete on a 580.
    Thought about it, but since I'm only about 1-2 days from my ruby, i'll just finish up and move to another project.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12