Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DistRTgen: BOINC is up and running again

Diamond Member

DistRTgen: BOINC is up and running again

I'm happy to announce that we are finally up and running again at full speed! To those of you whom might not now, we had issues with our brand new server. We were suffering from performance degradation and frequent spontaneous reboots. Now we have migrated to a temporary loaner server while our original server is being tested to find the cause of the issues. Previously it were running NetBSD 6.0 with LVM to manage the space, but we think it's what's causing the problems and so the server will be reinstalled with NetBSD 5.1 without LVM after the testing phase has completed, to keep things simple. Until then, we hope you will help us test our temporary loaner server. Let's see how much it can take before going down Let the crunching begin!

More...

Past Administrator

Re: DistRTgen: BOINC is up and running again

OH yeah baby! I'm on this.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

I'm gonna stay off it until I see the Wu's Validating, I picked up a few over night & every one of them were marked Invalid ...

Gold Member

So far I've completed 3 valid tasks. No errors so far.

Friend of SETI.USA

I think I know why mine are being marked Invalid, it could be because I have Client 7.0.11 Installed on all my Box's now. So I've screwed myself unless I go back to 6.12.34 or something like that. In order to go back I'll lose a Ton of Wu's in progress, so the moral is sometimes it's best to just leave things alone in BOINC instead of trying to do better in a Challenge, I don't have the time or the motivation to go back in Clients right now, it's all just too frustrating some times ...

Friend of SETI.USA

I've brought the Problem up at the DIRT Forums https://www.freerainbowtables.com/ph...39.html#p19839 it appears the Client 7.0.xx won't Validate until the DIRT Server is Upgraded to accept the new Client, Cruncher Pete is showing Validation errors too with v7.0.3, mine is v7.0.11. It may be a few days before they do it though ...

Gold Member

Exclamation Re: DistRTgen: BOINC is up and running again

I bet DiRT uses gzip compression of the output files. Somehow, they broke that in 7.x.x while adding compression support for something else. Yoiu know how it goes.... for every one needless enhancement, there have to be two bugs added to BOINC. I think they must be using "SCRUM" which, according to Wikipedia, "is a form of agile project management... does not require any creativity or intelligence"

Technically though, 7.0.x is still being tested. It took 34 versions before they got 6.10.x to work well, so my guess is that 7.0.x probably has a ways to go.

Important: I'm pretty sure that to downgrade to 6.x.x, you will need to abort all work, detach from all projects, and then do a complete uninstall, potentially deleting the data directory manually before attempting to reinstall 6.x.x because 7.x.x changes so much stuff that you cannot roll back to a previous version. They strongly suggested making a complete backup of the 6.10.x data directory prior to installing 7.0.x for a reason. Yep. I'm sure everyone did that, right? If you want to use bleeding edge software, prepare to bleed.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Important: I'm pretty sure that to downgrade to 6.x.x, you will need to abort all work, detach from all projects, and then do a complete uninstall, potentially deleting the data directory manually before attempting to reinstall 6.x.x because 7.x.x changes so much stuff that you cannot roll back to a previous version. They strongly suggested making a complete backup of the 6.10.x data directory prior to installing 7.0.x for a reason. Yep. I'm sure everyone did that, right? If you want to use bleeding edge software, prepare to bleed.
    Their going to Update the Server ASAP, I'm running POEM, Milkyway & MOO Wu's with the 7.0.11 Client & the Wu's are Validating so it can be done. Quote from PowerBlade at the Forum:

I know we have to do it eventually, so we might as well have to do it as soon as possible and properly document the steps to do the upgrade.
    Then it will make it easier for us to do upgrades in the future.
    For now I just renamed the Original BOINC Folders & installed v6.12.34 & it's working on just 1 Box. I'll wait & see if they Upgrade in the next few days before switching any other back to an earlier version.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    Their going to Update the Server ASAP, I'm running POEM, Milkyway & MOO Wu's with the 7.0.11 Client & the Wu's are Validating so it can be done. Quote from PowerBlade at the Forum:

For now I just renamed the Original BOINC Folders & installed v6.12.34 & it's working on just 1 Box. I'll wait & see if they Upgrade in the next few days before switching any other back to an earlier version.
    I'm on it as well. Let's see if we can break it.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    I think I know why mine are being marked Invalid, it could be because I have Client 7.0.11 Installed on all my Box's now. So I've screwed myself unless I go back to 6.12.34 or something like that. In order to go back I'll lose a Ton of Wu's in progress, so the moral is sometimes it's best to just leave things alone in BOINC instead of trying to do better in a Challenge, I don't have the time or the motivation to go back in Clients right now, it's all just too frustrating some times ...
    Well, I have 2 systems on it.

My Win7 64bit PC with an ATI card and BOINC 6.13.6 is not validating. (No ATI tasks I can see, all CPU.)
    My Ubuntu Linux 11-04 64 bit with an nVidia card and BOINC 6.12.32 is validating everything. (Both GPU and CPU.)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast