Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milkyway: Separation updated to 1.00

Diamond Member

Milkyway: Separation updated to 1.00

I've updated all of the separation applications to 1.00. For changes people might care about,
    • - The old CAL version is gone; it's replaced with the OpenCL application. On AMD/ATI GPUs (older than 79xx) it is using some hackery to use the same IL kernel as before so it should be as fast. However this also means the Radeon 38xx cards aren't supported with new stuff.- Radeon 79xx stuff should work- The occasional validate errors from empty / truncated stderr should stop- AVX will be used if available on Linux and Windows (64 bit only for Windows)- I've increased the default GPU target frequency so GPU stuff should make things less laggy on average. You can now also configure this with the web preferences now so you don't need to use app_info stuff if you want to play with that.- Partial workaround with high CPU usage with recent Nvidia drivers. It should cut down on the CPU usage a bit while not sacrificing too much. There are options to change the polling mode if you want to lower the CPU usage further while not slowing it down. (--gpu-wait-factor and --gpu-polling-mode work similarly to how they did with the old CAL one, but slightly different)

As usual post problems you run into here.

More...

Silver Member

Re: Milkyway: Separation updated to 1.00

This sound good anyone try it out yet im hoping it does well but sad to see my 3850 will no longer work.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    This sound good anyone try it out yet im hoping it does well but sad to see my 3850 will no longer work.
    Yeah, I noticed one. It won't dowload tasks for my 6950 now. I have another project I'm working on today so I won't be able to try upgrading drivers till late.

Silver Member

I have a ATI 4770, & a 5830 in one box and can't download any WU's. I have to go to work so it's over to Colitz for now, but really want to push Milkyway. Hopefully this will be an easy fix?

Gold Member

I guess it's too much to ask to make these testing apps before forcing them on everybody.
    6r39 7r199

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    Yeah, I noticed one. It won't dowload tasks for my 6950 now. I have another project I'm working on today so I won't be able to try upgrading drivers till late.
    Well, no explanation....but my 6950 just started downloading tasks again...but run times have quadrupled. Wow, that's an improvement.

99276471 76641799 9 Feb 2012 | 13:18:01 UTC 9 Feb 2012 | 14:37:46 UTC Completed and validated 278.84 6.80 159.86 MilkyWay@Home v1.00 (opencl_amd)
    98882741 76362330 8 Feb 2012 | 18:05:21 UTC 8 Feb 2012 | 19:37:27 UTC Completed and validated 68.39 9.16 159.86 MilkyWay@Home v0.82 (ati14)

Silver Member

wow that is so not good... expected it to be a little more but that is just insanely bad.

I had already set moo to no new task but i got a day or so worth of crunching to finish them off but after seeing that i might be loading up the wu for moo again ugh... once i get a chance ill suspend moo and see what mw does on my 6950.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    wow that is so not good... expected it to be a little more but that is just insanely bad.

I had already set moo to no new task but i got a day or so worth of crunching to finish them off but after seeing that i might be loading up the wu for moo again ugh... once i get a chance ill suspend moo and see what mw does on my 6950.
    I do get a mix of 82 (ati) tasks and the new 100 (Opencl) tasks. The ati still maintain the fast times and Opencl contines to suck. You can't change it in the preferences.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    I do get a mix of 82 (ati) tasks and the new 100 (Opencl) tasks. The ati still maintain the fast times and Opencl contines to suck. You can't change it in the preferences.
    This is proof as to how bad OpenCL is.... This sucks goats nuts......

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Now that I've gotten (before it crashed) the 4870 to crunch the new tasks, my run times went from 2:38 to 2:28.

[off topic rant]I think the latest Linux kernels are buggy. Whenever I try to run 3.1 or 3.2, the video crashes within 24 hours. Now I'm stuck at work and the crash even affects my ability to reboot. I tried to reboot and it never came back up. So, it's probably still on with one core at 100% doing nothing. I have to physically turn the computer off to recover. Then it has to fix hard drive errors and reboot again. This is one of the reasons I keep boinc on its own partition.[/off topic rant]
    6r39 7r199

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast