Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a cheap GPU that will crunch with a 450w PSU

Silver Member

Anyone have a cheap GPU that will crunch with a 450w PSU

With my x6 just built, there is an open PCI-e x16 slot that I can fill with a GPU if anyone has a cheap or free one lying around. The build only came with a 450w PSU and only one PCI-e power plug at the moment. If necessary I can change the PSU to a 550w that I have in the closet. Since I'm using this to replace two older machines it is already drastically increasing my output but will be even better if I can get a GPU to put in there.

Past Admin

Re: Anyone have a cheap GPU that will crunch with a 450w PSU

I've got nothing at the moment. I'll ask around.

Platinum Member

Don't have a GPU to offer, but I can say that my main rig here at home was running with a 430W PSU and was fine with both a 9600GT and a 5770 at different points in its' life. Q6600 and an ASUS P5K Deluxe Mobo with 6 Gig RAM. Dual HD and even 2 DVD Drives as well. So I'd say you could easily support at least a 5770 with that thing if one comes up.

Past Administrator

OK, I have something if you are interested. Since Mike let me have the 4870 that I resurrected, my 4850 has nowhere to go as I have shutdown the system it was in. Would this 4850 meet your expectations?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    OK, I have something if you are interested. Since Mike let me have the 4870 that I resurrected, my 4850 has nowhere to go as I have shutdown the system it was in. Would this 4850 meet your expectations?
    PM Sent

Past Administrator

WOOT! Way to go F$! Love it when everyone pulls together for the team, thank you both. This is going to rock the output of the two older rigs you're retiring!

Silver Member

Rock On! Got it today, immediately underwent shutting down and installing rather than eating dinner. Got it up and running with CCC 12.1. Went into AMD Overdrive and upp'd the GPU clock to 675mhz and memory clock to 1000mhz. Currently running moo w/fan speed @ 58% and holding at 60C so we'll see how much it adds to production by tomorrow morning

Past Administrator

Sweet! If you're "dangerous" you can try bumping that MHz up toward the 800MHz level (that's the highest I ever pushed the 4870s I had), and you can drop the memory clock as low as you want to help with less heat in the case...AWESOME addition to your farm, sir!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob's Son View Post
    Rock On! Got it today, immediately underwent shutting down and installing rather than eating dinner. Got it up and running with CCC 12.1. Went into AMD Overdrive and upp'd the GPU clock to 675mhz and memory clock to 1000mhz. Currently running moo w/fan speed @ 58% and holding at 60C so we'll see how much it adds to production by tomorrow morning
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Sweet! If you're "dangerous" you can try bumping that MHz up toward the 800MHz level (that's the highest I ever pushed the 4870s I had), and you can drop the memory clock as low as you want to help with less heat in the case...AWESOME addition to your farm, sir!
    I sent him a 4850 so the highest stable clock is 700Mhz. Also for Moo I believe you can drop the Mem. Clock to 800Mhz. It won't effect crunch time but it will reduce RAM temps at least 5C.

Happy Crunching!!!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

You can drop that puppy on Milk for the next few hours and pick up the double stones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast