Thread: I7 build

Silver Member

Re: I7 build

Man thats a good price on that i7 ugh paid 330 for mine

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    Man thats a good price on that i7 ugh paid 330 for mine
    They throw in that Asus MB P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Z68 for $59.00. You can get the MB and 2600k for the price I paid for the 2600k alone. Sweet deal. They need to build more of these stores near SUSA members.

Gold Member

One problem with the board is that it is a crossfire board and from what I have been told I won't be able to run the 2x GTX465s in SLI. That is a great board and Comp has it for 109 after rebate.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    One problem with the board is that it is a crossfire board and from what I have been told I won't be able to run the 2x GTX465s in SLI. That is a great board and Comp has it for 109 after rebate.
    That shouldn't make a difference, should it? I've never had a need to run SLI, but the only reason they call it a Crossfire Board is because that's what they tested it with...

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    That shouldn't make a difference, should it? I've never had a need to run SLI, but the only reason they call it a Crossfire Board is because that's what they tested it with...
    Correct. SLI will work on that board. All the communication is done directly between the cards hence the cable. It is mostly just an advertising gimmick. The only real contribution the MB gives is in the PCIe bus speed but that is a function of the Northbridge/CPU On-Die PCIe controller.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

GREAT! I am going to order the board from Comp this afternoon and since I really like the I7 that will also be gotten through Comp....Darn Microcenter! Memory has to come from the Egg so it will take a couple of days to get it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220535 8gb will be enough to start and 2000mhz is just as cheap (?) as the lesser speeds. They also have Gskill 2133 8gb for about the same $. Might go with that. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231518
    This should be a great upgrade.

Silver Member

GREAT! I am going to order the board from Comp this afternoon and since I really like the I7 that will also be gotten through Comp....Darn Microcenter! Memory has to come from the Egg so it will take a couple of days to get it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220535 8gb will be enough to start and 2000mhz is just as cheap (?) as the lesser speeds. They also have Gskill 2133 8gb for about the same $. Might go with that. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231518
    This should be a great upgrade.
    careful with the ram if you have to rma the processor to intel.. They only warantee cpu if your using 1.5v memory fyi..

Gold Member

Aw come on now. Any more cold wateer on me? Looks like I'd have to go to PC15000 to get a reasonable price on them and get the 1.5v. Unless I decide to chance the warranty issue. So far I have never had to RMA a cpu so I am inclined to chance it. I have to contemplate on that one.

Silver Member

Aw come on now. Any more cold wateer on me? Looks like I'd have to go to PC15000 to get a reasonable price on them and get the 1.5v. Unless I decide to chance the warranty issue. So far I have never had to RMA a cpu so I am inclined to chance it. I have to contemplate on that one.
    Back when i was researching i believe the memory control is on the cpu and when folks were extreme overclocking they would burn it up but i dont know if that was corrected with z68 chipset maybe someone else who knows more about it but i went with the 1.5v to avoid any issues. Course most of this info was from forums so i dont know how truthful it is just what i read.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    Back when i was researching i believe the memory control is on the cpu and when folks were extreme overclocking they would burn it up but i dont know if that was corrected with z68 chipset maybe someone else who knows more about it but i went with the 1.5v to avoid any issues. Course most of this info was from forums so i dont know how truthful it is just what i read.
    Yep, still holds true. Look at any socket 1555 MB and you see that none of them have a Northbridge chip. Mem & PCI controllers are on the CPU. The stuff that they couldn't fit on the CPU have been moved to the Southbridge.

Wikipedia
    Core i Series chipsets: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eries_chipsets

Sandy Bridge microarchitecture (32nm): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...architecture_2

Also the alarmist in me needs to draw your attention to the following

(Sandy Bridge - Intel Insider and remote-control)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The processors include a "service" called Intel Insider which the company calls "an extra layer of content protection".[29] This protection technology is only intended for streaming services at the moment.

Sandy Bridge processors with vPro capability have security features that can remotely disable a PC or erase information from hard drives. This can be useful in the case of a lost or stolen PC. The commands can be received through 3G signals, Ethernet, or Internet connections. AES encryption acceleration will be available, which can be useful for video conferencing and VoIP applications.[30]
    The "at the moment" bit gives me the willies..........

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast