Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: I7 build

Gold Member

Re: I7 build

It's been up and running for awhile now but the cooler just isn't doing the job. Coolermaster sent a "alternate hold down clip" today. So OH JOY, I get to take it all apart again. They should just include the clip in the original package, but no, you have to find out that the original clip does not hold the cooler securely to the motherboard and then you have to talk to customer service and wait a week to get the clip.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Silver Member

Ugh... That just sucks, sorry to hear that.

Past Admin

I just finished installing the H100 I bought from NewEgg. $95.00 after MIR.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181017

Easy to install and dropped my temps 10 degrees while allowing me to OC my 2600k to 4.5.

Past Administrator

How loud is that thing? I tried to buy one months ago, but I think it was broken so I took it back. It would only do the fans at one speed - and it was LOUD. There is supposed to be the button that you push to make it cycle between 3 different speeds at least, but it wouldn't do squat, so I returned it and went with the old standby - Hyper 212 Plus.

Gold Member

The one I have is plugged into the cpu fan outlet on the motherboard so both fans are controlled by the mb. The button is for changing changing colors and to turn off the LED in the cooler top. Don't waste your money on it. It is only keeping the temps in the 70-73c range. I have removed it and modified my old 735 Big Water unit and now have it running on that. Under full load I have it down to 67-69 degrees running at 4630.
    I don't know what I am going to do to bring down the temps yet. I am using the old 775 water block so I may look for one for the 1155 socket. So far I am pleased with the output of the chip but I don't like the temps or the overcclocking.
    Last edited by c303a; 03-22-12 at 12:26 PM.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    How loud is that thing? I tried to buy one months ago, but I think it was broken so I took it back. It would only do the fans at one speed - and it was LOUD. There is supposed to be the button that you push to make it cycle between 3 different speeds at least, but it wouldn't do squat, so I returned it and went with the old standby - Hyper 212 Plus.

That is what I replaced. the Hyper 212. lol. I could only run the cpu at 3800 with temps. of 67 to 70. With the H100, I'm running at 4400 with temps of 57 to 61. I have the fans running on high and the noise is a bit load compared to the push/pull 212 setup it replaced. I am considering buying more efficient fans
    (quieter/higher air flow) or reducing the oc. I have not decided yet.

Overall it has been worth the purchase.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    That is what I replaced. the Hyper 212. lol. I could only run the cpu at 3800 with temps. of 67 to 70. With the H100, I'm running at 4400 with temps of 57 to 61. I have the fans running on high and the noise is a bit load compared to the push/pull 212 setup it replaced. I am considering buying more efficient fans
    (quieter/higher air flow) or reducing the oc. I have not decided yet.

Overall it has been worth the purchase.
    If you have the funds try the Akasa Viper 120x25 fan - $13.95 (Link)

Akasa Viper Specs:
    Dimension: 120 X 120 X 25mm
    Fan speed: 600 -1900 RPM
    Max airflow: 83.63 CFM (141.75 m3/h)
    Max static air pressure: 2.98 mm H2O
    Noise level: 6.9 -28.9 dB(A)
    Current rating: 0.17A
    Voltage rating: 12V DC
    Bearing: HDB (Hydro Dynamic)
    Fan life expectancy: 50,000 hours
    Connector: 4pin PWM
    Product code: AK-FN059

And btw, Mike have you seen this ---> Tom's Hardware - "Corsair Issues Warning of H100 Fan Controller Issues" (Link)

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

I was thinking of putting in a couple of these as case fans. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185060
    With 110+ cfm I figure they should do a bit for the movement of air in the case. I just can't have anymore packages delivered for awhile. The wife is getting suspicious and I just got another 8gbs of ram which is supposed to be here tomorrow. That's why I modified my old Big Water rig and actually used some of the parts from the V6GT to get the block mounted to the mb.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    I was thinking of putting in a couple of these as case fans. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185060
    With 110+ cfm I figure they should do a bit for the movement of air in the case. I just can't have anymore packages delivered for awhile. The wife is getting suspicious and I just got another 8gbs of ram which is supposed to be here tomorrow. That's why I modified my old Big Water rig and actually used some of the parts from the V6GT to get the block mounted to the mb.
    That's not a bad noise level for 110CFM. One thing though, you need to be careful as some fans made by a lot of manufactures are designed to operate only at 12V. So using such a fan on a MB header to control fan speed won't work well. Quite a few just shut down. If you need variable speed the the easiest way to avoid that is only by one with a listed RPM range. Newegg is very unclear about that in many of the fan specs. Of course you can always call them and ask before buying. I just prefer full disclosure up front.

BTW, Though they don't sell all the same units as Newegg, FrozenCPU does a really job on listing fan specs. I have purchased stuff from them on two occasions. So far they have been excellent. And their customer service, needed it with the first order I placed, was very professional and courteous.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

I go between the egg and compusa (tiger). I am willing to try anyone for good service. I can get things overnight usually and 2 days from the egg. I ordered teh memory last night late and it is in Milwaukee no and will be here tomorrow. I have had excellent service from both of them when I needed it.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast