Thread: HDD speed doesn't matter for cruncher right?

Past Administrator

HDD speed doesn't matter for cruncher right?

I think we've been over this before, but I may have to swap some hardware around in rigs and I just wanted to make sure -- the HDD speed doesn't matter much for a "crunching only" rig, right? If so, is that true for mostly all projects, or would there be a few where that matters? I think it's mostly CPU / GPU speed and RAM quantity (maybe speed) that matters, is this correct?
    Thanks

Past Administrator

Re: HDD speed doesn't matter for cruncher right?

The only projects that it might affect would be the ones with very large wu files. And this only applies to IDE drives and then only the ones that spin slower then 7200 rpm and use the slower bus speeds.

Wikipedia on PATA (Parallel ATA): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

OK, Thanks F$. That clears it up for me.

Platinum Member

The only exception to that I used to know of was AlmereGrid. Their older app used to hammer the snot out of the local drive, but I think they've upgraded the "Production" app and it doesn't do that any longer. (The app used to do something akin to extracting something like 50,000 teeny little files from a zipped file it distributed, concatenated them all together to process then packaged 'em back up for uploading. Really performed horrendously and inefficiently. The top Users used to be a pair from BOINC@Poland (AiDec and Pigu) that were using a RAMDrive device to eliminate all the I/O latencies.)