Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I use Boinc Task to manage computer not in my home?

Past Admin

Can I use Boinc Task to manage computer not in my home?

I just loaded Boinctask and like what I'm seeing. If I can use it to remotely manage my other boxes Bam is dead to me. Any ideas how to manage computers not in my own home?

Gold Member

Re: Can I use Boinc Task to manage computer not in my home?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    I just loaded Boinctask and like what I'm seeing. If I can use it to remotely manage my other boxes Bam is dead to me. Any ideas how to manage computers not in my own home?
    If the computer not in your home has an internet address, you can put that into the Advanced --> Select Computer option. (from the advanced screen of the BOINC Manager)

That, of course would require an open connection and probably a port being forwarded. If it's just one computer on DSL, like my daughter used to have, I just set up a dynamic dns address for her and didn't need to forward any ports.
    6r39 7r199

Platinum Member

No - but they have decent help files. And I will also be monitoring this thread...

Gold Member

95% of what I do is Linux, so what I do from work probably wouldn't help you, but I can connect to home using ssh. Since we have a Windows based X-window manager for displaying graphics of our unix based drafting program, I can connect with GUI graphics enabled. That means that I can start BOINC Manager remotely over the ssh connection and see it on my computer at work. From that I can control all my home network boxes (and even some remote ones).
    6r39 7r199

Administrator

If you just want to control 1 computer remotely then use a VNC like TeamViewer. What you will see on the screen of your monitor is the screen of the remote computer and it is just like you were sitting in front of the other (remote) computer.

If you have mulitple computers at a remote site then put BoincTasks on one of them and then use TeamViewer to tie into that 1 machine. Then you can control BOINC on all machines from the one you connected with.

We move south 6 months of the year and that is how I control my 4 machines. I can tie into any of them with TeamViewer if I need to do something like upgrade BOINC or to stop/start BOINC. But normally I tie into a single machinie and control the others with BoincTasks.

Administrator

I agree with Bryan, TeamViewer is great. 2 of my computers are out in my workshop and I can do anything remotely that I could do while sitting in front of them. There's also a nice Android app so I can also control them from my phone. It's not as easy on the phone, but it does work. Here's a screenshot of what you see remotely.

Attachment 769.

GalaxyIce

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    There's also a nice Android app so I can also control them from my phone.
    What app is this?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyIce View Post
    What app is this?
    Just search under "Teamviewer" in the Android Market.

Administrator

Diamond Member

There are also generic VNC viewer apps for the iPhone and (I assume) android. I use one to VNC into my machines
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast