Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I use Boinc Task to manage computer not in my home?

Diamond Member

Re: Can I use Boinc Task to manage computer not in my home?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    I just loaded Boinctask and like what I'm seeing. If I can use it to remotely manage my other boxes Bam is dead to me. Any ideas how to manage computers not in my own home?
    Yes, I do this with BOINCTasks. No problem.

On the remote machine, in the remote_hosts file, you have to add the external IP address of the local machine (not the 192.168.x.x it uses for the internal lan).

And on the remote router, you will need to use port forwarding. If you have more than one machine there, you will need to assign unique external ports in the router. But the internal numbers need to be 31416.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

GalaxyIce

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    Just search under "Teamviewer" in the Android Market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Thanks for that. I'm also trying out "PocketCloud". (PocketCloud on Android Market; www.pocketcloud.com)

Both seem to be pretty good.

GalaxyIce

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    There are also generic VNC viewer apps for the iPhone
    Yes, it's called iTeleport. I used it for quite a while. Works very well, but only available for iPhone; http://www.iteleportmobile.com

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyIce View Post
    Yes, it's called iTeleport. I used it for quite a while. Works very well, but only available for iPhone; http://www.iteleportmobile.com
    Heh. There's more than one. For example, I use mocha VNC.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

GalaxyIce

TeamView is a good glorified version of VNC, but I find it infuriating to use and it takes a lot of time to get going and configure. It shows a list of numbers and expects you to know which is for which computer and you have to guess until you memorize the equivalent of a phone number for each computer. For the mobile the interface reminds me of iTeleport for iPhone; everything is opposite to how it works on the desktop and the cursor could be anywhere when you try and click on the screen. PocketCloud is so much better, very quick to set up and the interface works as if you were running it on the mobile. However, you can't run PocketCloud on a computer, ie, use it from one computer to connect to another as with TeamView, and TeamView has extras such a file transfer. They both have advantages and are both very useful, so I am using both
    Last edited by GalaxyIce; 02-25-12 at 05:15 PM.

Cruncher Pete

I like Teamview. It was easy to set up. I named my machines Nodes 0 to 11 and when I wish to see my machine named Node3, I just click on the choice and voilą I am in Node3.

Administrator

You need to go onto the TV website and create and account. Then you can use the "telephone #" and password to tie a machine to your account. Then you give it any name you want. When you launch TV on your controlling machine it will actually show you 2 boxes ... the default which you can enter the "telephone #" AND a box where it ties into your TV account and shows only the names you chose for your machines. Click on any name and it will connect to that machine.

As CP says, something like Node 1, 2, 3 etc etc

Diamond Member

I am well tied to my computer

I must be tied to the telephone also

then Node the Tie

I can see no Team only aliens, in direct transmission from Alpha Centaury. Duke phone home. Home ....

I will tell Seti about it maybe they want to see the transmission

Geeez better stay with the GPUs.

GalaxyIce

Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher Pete View Post
    I like Teamview. It was easy to set up. I named my machines Nodes 0 to 11 and when I wish to see my machine named Node3, I just click on the choice and voilą I am in Node3.
    I also set up my compters with your naming system, I use ONE, TWO, THREE etc. Yes, when using Teamview from box to box these names show and it's very easy to use. But if you use an android to connect to a box you see only the 9 didgit numbers generated by Teamview, and in the Histroy page you get a telephone list of these numbers and need a wicked memory to know which goes with which box. However, Teamview works really well and on one occasion I used Teamview to to connect to and fix PocketCloud/VNC on a box where the PocketCloud was giving problems (on an old screwed up machine I might add).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12