Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The XXXLs are back:)

Silver Member

The XXXLs are back:)

Hey all, RNA world has tasks that run between 200 to 800 hours depending on your system and give 4X credit. The drawback is that these tasks do NOT checkpoint!

They are actually called XXL tasks at RNA world but about every 50th XXL will be one that runs over 150 hours and I call those XXXLs! Normal tasks receive 2X credit but tasks that run a very long time get 4X credit. If you have a reliable system and power they can be quite profitable. My power is not very reliable and I do not have a UPS so I only run one or two of these tasks at once and abort the rest. I am planing on getting a UPS for one system and running these exclusively though because they pay so well.

JagDoc is making lots of credit with a modest farm by running these tasks exclusively. Some of the tasks he is turning in are earning over 100 credits per hour which is pretty good compared to some projects.

http://www.rnaworld.de/rnaworld/show...php?userid=980

Anyway, just a little plug for a project I like that I like. Keep crunching!!

Past Admin

Re: The XXXLs are back:)

Quote Originally Posted by Bikermatt View Post
    Hey all, RNA world has tasks that run between 200 to 800 hours depending on your system and give 4X credit. The drawback is that these tasks do NOT checkpoint!

They are actually called XXL tasks at RNA world but about every 50th XXL will be one that runs over 150 hours and I call those XXXLs! Normal tasks receive 2X credit but tasks that run a very long time get 4X credit. If you have a reliable system and power they can be quite profitable. My power is not very reliable and I do not have a UPS so I only run one or two of these tasks at once and abort the rest. I am planing on getting a UPS for one system and running these exclusively though because they pay so well.

JagDoc is making lots of credit with a modest farm by running these tasks exclusively. Some of the tasks he is turning in are earning over 100 credits per hour which is pretty good compared to some projects.

http://www.rnaworld.de/rnaworld/show...php?userid=980

Anyway, just a little plug for a project I like that I like. Keep crunching!!
    The no check point scares me.

I may try a couple on my 24/7 box

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    The no check point scares me.

Yes, I have lost tasks with over 400 hours crunched before due to power bumps or my own stupidity. The power bumps are usually less than a second so I have a UPS on the way that should account for 99% of the power problems. The getting stupid is another thing that I will have to tackle eventually also.

Friend of SETI.USA

Hey all, RNA world has tasks that run between 200 to 800 hours depending on your system and give 4X credit
    They can run way longer that the 800 Hr's Matt, I've got some at 100 Hr's and haven't reached 10% yet, hope I don't have an Outage It's really ridiculous that there''s no Checkpointing on Wu's that run this long ...

EDIT: About the Checkpointing, the Wu's may have it now, BoincTasks show Checkpoints & I can Suspend the Wu's & then restart them & they take off from where they left off at & I can run other Wu's along side the RNA Wu's that will suspend the RNA Wu's with no loss of Hr's ... I haven't checked at the Forum to see about the Checkpointing. They do Pay good though, I seen 1 914 Hr Wu that paid 100k in Credit ... I see they ask for extensions on the Deadlines at the Forum too & YoYo Grants them as the Deadlines aren't long enough on many of the Wu's ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 02-21-13 at 04:44 AM.

Gold Member

Just out of curiosity, 2x or 4x credit compared to what? Does it pay better than DiRT?
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Just out of curiosity, 2x or 4x credit compared to what? Does it pay better than DiRT?
    2x or 4x the rate that they normally pay. They have a small number of very long tasks. They don't checkpoint (or least they did not used to), so you could easily lose a huge amount of crunching time due to something like a power glitch. To offset losses, and to keep people from leaving, they offer bonus credits for the long ones.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    EDIT: About the Checkpointing, the Wu's may have it now, BoincTasks show Checkpoints & I can Suspend the Wu's & then restart them & they take off from where they left off at & I can run other Wu's along side the RNA Wu's that will suspend the RNA Wu's with no loss of Hr's
    Assuming you have "Leave tasks in memory while suspended?" set to yes, then it does not matter if a task checkpoints. It will always resume where it left off, when just suspending/un-suspending.

The real test is quitting BOINC. If the task resumes where it left off after quitting/re-starting BOINC, then you will know for sure if it is checkpointing.

Diamond Member

If I remember back in 2011, when I was crunching RNA, I had a handful that ran over 800 hours. I think the longest was 930 hours. I wish I could recall the pay out exactly. I think it was around 100k.

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    They must Normally only pay about 12-15 Credits per hour as I'm only getting around 45 per hour now with their 2x-4x increase in Pay. So far I haven't had any fail so I'm okay with the Credit, all I want is the Hours run for the WUProp Badge's, the Credit a Project gives doesn't mean anything to me anymore ...

Friend of SETI.USA

Just noticed 1 of 6 RNA Wu's had finally reached 100% & it's the short one of the 6 I guess. It's at 224 Hr's now but don't know how long it will run at 100% before finishing. I know the Lattice Wu's can run 100 Hr's or more at 100% before finally finishing. The other 5 RNA Wu's are all over 200 Hr's too with one about to go over 300 Hr's & none of the 5 have reached 20% done yet ... I'll need to ask for an extension on the Deadlines on all 5 in a few days over at the RNA Forum ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast