Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bash Bro.'s Logo & Call to Help TM at WCG Christmas Race Dec. 1st - 24th

Past Administrator

Bash Bro.'s Logo & Call to Help TM at WCG Christmas Race Dec. 1st - 24th

1. Now that SETI.USA logo is done, I'd like some inspiration for the Bash Bro.'s logo. Any fun idea is fair game. So far I've thought of a couple things like: SETI.USA astronaut with a baseball bat smashing a computer; SETI.USA astronaut and alien crossing baseball bats on the moon; a "SETI.USAville Slugger" smashing a computer, etc. I would really like your input on this, and also on the size we want it for our sigs.

2. I'm pretty sure my next topic is going to be controversial at best, so I'm forewarning you with that.
    After much reflection, I feel that we owe one to Team Musketeers (TM) for the way they really pulled that last PG Challenge out for us. I know I am not alone in feeling this way. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but there were some names there crunching for us, that in months gone by, would not have cared to. That means something to me. I hope it means something to you. Our score would have been a lot closer to S.G.'s than Shanky's if we were on our own there. We really need to have one last GREAT show at PG in December. My proposal follows, and I'd like to open this up for FRIENDLY discussion. Naturally, all sides of the coin are welcome, but please try to keep it civil on all levels. Thanks.

Proposal:
    Whereas: TM has joined the WCG Christmas race 2010 that runs from Dec. 1st to Dec. 24th, and SETI.USA has not.
    Whereas: We, Team SETI.USA publicly acknowledge our gratitude for help received from TM in the past, as well as future help that TM has already proffered for the PG Winter Solstice Challenge, in order that we, SETI.USA may gain the 2010 Crown...

Let it therefore be known by these presents that a clan of SETI.USA members, so inclined, will make a show of force with what CPU power we can muster to assist our friends, TM, as a gift in the spirit of Christmas at WCG between the dates of Dec. 1st - Dec. 24th; with the understood exception of switching en masse to project PG on Dec. 18th - Dec. 21st. for the Winter Solstice Challenge.

In light of our team history, let it be understood that this exchange of CPU power is temporary; that no one involved in this gesture of goodwill is "switching" teams or involved in any other conspiratorial attempt against SETI.USA; and lastly, that GPU power for RAC purposes will stay completely with our Mother Team, SETI.USA during this time.
    [END Proposal]

There was also an idea presented to me, that would prevent any disparaging events from happening after this, an idea that I rather like.
    That is, we could all participate in an anonymous way. No one would ever know how much or how little any member gave to this cause. Not even our friends at TM will know who it was - they will just see a big pile of credits as a nice gift from us.

To do this, I have setup an account whereby our CPU power can be brought together as once voice for SETI.USA for this event.
    The account name and password are posted in the Bash Bro.'s group forum, along with the email (Gmail) address and password it is linked to. Everything is out in the open on this account, but the computers are hidden for anonymity. It is setup on project WCG only, and is listed as a member of Team Musketeers.
    If you are not a Bash Bro.'s member, and would like to help out, please consider joining, or PM me or another Bash Bro. for the anonymous account info.

I hope you consider attaching your computer(s) to this account beginning Dec. 1st. PLEASE remember to switch over to PG by Dec. 18th, 23:38 UTC for the Winter Solstice Challenge! We will need everyone there.

Gold Member

Re: Bash Bro.'s Logo & Call to Help TM at WCG Christmas Race Dec. 1st - 24th

Already told TM and DD that I would help. Committed now.

Platinum Member

DrPop, I think this is a no-brainer. We should definitely help out TM.

1. They have supported us more than most of us know.
    2. We aren't going to be pushing WCG any time soon.
    3. Our team is ranked 60th or so on WCG - nothing to defend.
    4. TM wants to make a good showing.
    5. It's a great project in terms of science.
    6. SETI.USA isn't entering the race...

If you're regularly crunching it, consider switching to TM for Dec (save for the PG challenge) as a small "thank you" to them. If you're looking for a milestone on WCG, go for it in Dec, perhaps under TM. If you want to support them but don't want to move your account, consider the "anonymous account" option. I will be moving my account there in Dec, as I want to continue on with my WCG MM chasing as well as supporting TM.

Also (and I won't do this without team support), I would like to Tweet this plan to hopefully get an even bigger showing...

Gold Member

You have convinced me Max, I should not help....

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    You have convinced me Max, I should not help....

Maybe you shouldenīt - but you know you want to!!
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Admin

I'm all in for TM for this challenge. If you can spare a few cores to help out our old friends it will be appreciated. Time to pony up family.

Past Administrator

Alright, great. That's more of a positive response than I was even hoping for. In this case we can totally drop the anonymous account idea if everyone wants to just crunch under their own name. Either way, just let me know before hand, please! I mean, if I was the only one that attached to that account, it would look pretty weak, I'm afraid.

So, on the other, lighter topic: did anyone like any of my ideas for the Bash Bro.'s logo, or were there some good thoughts on this out there?

Past Admin

Since I do not have an account for WCG - I am all for the joint one....But those who have one, must make that desicion for themselves...
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

thepossum1

Very cool idea Since I am only running one machine right now, I am debating whether to do this--I DO have a WCG account. Actually, why not, my piddly little PG numbers won't be missed for that short a time period

Now, to just search the memory banks and remember how to do it hahaahaha

EDIT: If I remember correctly, WCG WU's take a long time (for me anyway) I've set PG for no new ( I can't run QM on this POS) and hope to get some WCG started. Should I disable network access and hold off reporting till I switch over to TM for the challenge? OR am I asking for problems for myself---remember who this is asking lol

2nd EDIT: oh sheesh--went poking around over at WCG and now I remember how badly I hated their site---I am clueless how to navigate around over there---just how the heck do I join TM when the time comes???? Couldn't find them--ta da--DID find the forum post about the race lol and updated my profile time zone. Now I'm lost
    Last edited by thepossum1; 11-21-10 at 09:00 AM.

Past Administrator

Hi Possum,
    Well, after reading your post, I got to thinking. No reason for you or anyone else to go through all that trouble...that's why I setup this anonymous account. So, I'm going to just post it publicly, and hopefully everyone will pile on to this thing, and we'll make a big difference for them!

Simply open your BOINC program, click Tools, then Attach... and then select WCG. Then select existing user, and this is all you have to put in; you can copy and paste!

Login Name: SETI.USA BashBros return favor
    Password: bashbros4boinc

This account is only signed up at project WCG, and is listed as a member of Team Musketeers. Computers are hidden. (We can show them if everyone wants to.)

Thank you for your consideration.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast