Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixed GPU question

Diamond Member

Mixed GPU question

I will be adding a 7970 to a machine with a 560x2. I think I recall someone saying that sometimes one of the brands has to be in the first slot, in a mixed GPU machine. Is this really necessary? And if so, which one needs to go in the first slot? ATI or nVidia?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Admin

Re: Mixed GPU question

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I will be adding a 7970 to a machine with a 560x2. I think I recall someone saying that sometimes one of the brands has to be in the first slot, in a mixed GPU machine. Is this really necessary? And if so, which one needs to go in the first slot? ATI or nVidia?
    When i had my mixed box, the AMD was in the first slot and the Cuda was in the 2nd. The monitor was plugged into the AMD and the Cuda card ran without a dummy plug. (Win 7 box) I installed the ADM card first, updated all drivers, got it crunching, then installed the Cuda card.

Diamond Member

Thanks. FWIW, this is a headless cruncher.

Administrator

Z, the ATI MUST be the 1st one otherwise BOINC doesn't pick it up and use it. At least that is the way my 4 machines have always behaved. Win7 x64.

Past Administrator

Yep, they are correct. One note, for me I have never had to pull the nVidia cards out when installing Windows. Not sure about Linux. But like Mike stated, install ATI/AMD drivers first and reboot before adding the nVidia drivers.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

This machine is already running with the 560x2 in the first slot. I will be adding the 7970. So I will add the 7970 drivers, power it down, move the 560x2 over, put in the 7970 in the first slot, and reboot. Does that sound right?

Diamond Member

This machine is already running with the 560x2 in the first slot. I will be adding the 7970. So I will add the 7970 drivers, power it down, move the 560x2 over, put in the 7970 in the first slot, and reboot. Does that sound right?
    Well, that didn't work. Win7 64 does not see the ATI card at all. I tried adding a loop-back, an no change. The device manager does not see it, gpu-z does not see it. Nothing. I have tried reinstalling the drivers too. Now what?

Past Admin

Remove all drivers and shut down. Install only the AMD card. Boot up, it should find the card. Install the drivers. shutdown. Place the Cuda card in the other slot. Boot up see if it sees the AMD card and the Cuda card. That should work.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    Remove all drivers and shut down. Install only the AMD card. Boot up, it should find the card. Install the drivers. shutdown. Place the Cuda card in the other slot. Boot up see if it sees the AMD card and the Cuda card. That should work.
    Thanks. That did the trick. Man, what a pain in the ass.

http://donateathome.org/show_host_detail.php?hostid=114
    Last edited by zombie67; 02-29-12 at 04:55 PM.

Past Admin

Thanks. That did the trick. Man, what a pain in the ass.

http://donateathome.org/show_host_detail.php?hostid=114
    Real pain but only way. That new AMD card is kicking a$$..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast