Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WCG: GPU tasks now in Beta

Past Administrator

Re: WCG: GPU tasks now in Beta

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Badges are based on CPU run time, not credits. GPU tasks accrue very little CPU time. So GPU crunching will slow down your badge collecting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Do you think they will take that into account or just ignore it a-la DA?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Do you think they will take that into account or just ignore it a-la DA?
    No idea really. But keep in mind, that badges really have nothing to do with credits. So assuming that tasks pay they same regardless of what crunched them, GPUs will rule the credits and CPUs will rule the badges.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

No idea really. But keep in mind, that badges really have nothing to do with credits. So assuming that tasks pay they same regardless of what crunched them, GPUs will rule the credits and CPUs will rule the badges.
    OK, that is what I was getting at. Since the app will use very little CPU time, if they factor in GPU crunch time then GPUs will be a lot closer or equal to CPUs in regards to accumulating badges. Or am I just looking at the the whole thing wrong?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

New news:

A couple of quick notes:

We will have to change the results status page to show the version number and 'app plan' for the result. This will let you know if it was run as cpu or gpu.

We will also have to change the page so that it shows elapsed time for results run on the gpu instead of cpu time (for the purposes of recording 'run time' as recorded on the website, gpu results are awarded time based on the run time).
    I think that last bit is in reference to what is counted by the badges. So good news for badge chasers who are also credit chasers!

Past Administrator

New news:

A couple of quick notes:

We will have to change the results status page to show the version number and 'app plan' for the result. This will let you know if it was run as cpu or gpu.

We will also have to change the page so that it shows elapsed time for results run on the gpu instead of cpu time (for the purposes of recording 'run time' as recorded on the website, gpu results are awarded time based on the run time).
    I think that last bit is in reference to what is counted by the badges. So good news for badge chasers who are also credit chasers!
    Great! Thanks for the info.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

It's like they knew what all of us were wondering. I don't think I've grabbed any gpu wus yet, but hopefully I will. I do have the option selected.

Diamond Member

More beta tasks being sent now.

Diamond Member

More GPU beta tasks available!

Gold Member

Badges are based on CPU run time, not credits. GPU tasks accrue very little CPU time. So GPU crunching will slow down your badge collecting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    So, to summarize, poor credits or even 0 if they fail even though it isn't your fault their beta app fails, and then it will be even harder to get badges. Golly! Where do I sign up? If WCG adds squeaky beginner clarinet music to their screen save while crunching, they'll have the triple crown!

Actually, I hope their GPU works well and the credits are in line with the speed increase. I think a lot of people would switch to WCG projects if the credits were competitive. And, can you imagine the turnout if they granted credit like Moo, MW, or even POEM.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Diamond Member

More BETA GPU tasks being issued now.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast