Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia GTX 680

Past Administrator

Re: Nvidia GTX 680

Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    Hurry up NVIDIA i need you to fill up all the shelves so AMD will be forced to lower the price on those sexy 7970... hehe
    Yep! Gotta love that they're both getting competitive again. . Fun crunchin' times ahead!

Past Administrator

Well Newegg is listing the cards again, and they are all "Out of Stock".....

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

so check out the OpenCL bench numbers for dual / single precision.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...k,3161-14.html

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hankey View Post
    so check out the OpenCL bench numbers for dual / single precision.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...k,3161-14.html
    Crap. I don't know what else to say. Is NVIDIA this pathetic? Are they saying they purposely detuned the card so it sucks for crunching? This probably to sell their high end Tesla cards or whatever instead, right?
    Very, very disappointed with this. What's next to evaluate? Any other benchmarks we need to consider, etc to make our decisions?

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Crap. I don't know what else to say. Is NVIDIA this pathetic? Are they saying they purposely detuned the card so it sucks for crunching? This probably to sell their high end Tesla cards or whatever instead, right?
    Very, very disappointed with this. What's next to evaluate? Any other benchmarks we need to consider, etc to make our decisions?
    Well, this changes things a bit. The 7970 clearly outperforms the GTX680 for our purposes. Perhaps you should wait till we start to see these cards on DiRT, PG and others.

Past Administrator

Yeah, I agree with you there. The waiting game is on now. I will use this time to start getting it together for whichever GPU is better.

Maybe there is something to JPM's post about the GK110 chip that NVIDIA was supposed to come out with for the higher end? Wonder when all this will finally be out in the open and we can see our real options...

Past Administrator

Unfortunately that review is tainted. The AMD 6990 is a Dual GPU unit. Apples to Oranges. Stupid, very stupid. Or at least the review should have included the 6970. And somehow the reviews conclusion says the GTX-680 is a good card. How? It's intentionally crippled compute performance. At idle, it sucks up the same amount of power as the 7970. It cannot beat it's predecessor on several benchmarks. Plus, it's new transcoder is limited to H.264 output! So for all that, they want more money than a 580???

Sorry, but from my point of view nVidia it the biggest tech scam artist on the planet. All they have done is set it up so that Joe consumer is footing the bill for all their R&D, slanted reviews and over priced ad campaigns while reaping in the motherload from their commercial Fermi products. And the really sad news? Joe consumer is eating it up like a nine year old given free access to the candy store.......

Well at least the 680 will put pressure on the rest of the GPU market, nVidia and AMD alike.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Nvidia has always done that, starting with the 400 series, however then they only crippled double precision by 1/8th. This 1/24th crap is pretty bad

However "We asked NVIDIA about this and they said that a folding update is in the works"

As it stands now, imagine Dirt on the 680. Nearly double what a 580 can do? Yes please.

EDIT: but yeah, if you work on double precision projects, always go with AMD. Nvidia will always intentionally screw you over there. I remember back on the old forums i ranted about this for days. Even ranted on Nvidia's forums and a few team members joined in. Clearly it hasn't changed things. But now, just because i can, i will write an article about it for LegitReviews directly aimed at letting us folders know what's really going on. I just need a little more info first...

Also, Nvidia's GPUs have always been better at double precision than AMD's. No one knows that because they keep it crippled, but uncrippled, Nvidia can do SP : DP @ 2:1, meaning the 680 *could have* a DP rating of 1545 GFLOPS (which is about 40% faster than AMD's 6990!!!!!). That's what we're really missing out on.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 03-22-12 at 05:50 PM.

Diamond Member

Making it slower than their *own* previous generation product is insane. Suicidal even.

Which projects require double precision again?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Making it slower than their *own* previous generation product is insane. Suicidal even.

Which projects require double precision again?
    milkyway and gpugrid

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast