Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moo: Need app_info.xml w/ 7.x

Diamond Member
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Re: Moo: Need app_info.xml w/ 7.x

So, where is it posted what the minimum BOINC version is that Moo will run with? I've got one system at 6.10.18 that Moo says I need a newer version of BOINC to run. But after all this, I'm not so sure I want to upgrade to 7.x.x.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    So, where is it posted what the minimum BOINC version is that Moo will run with? I've got one system at 6.10.18 that Moo says I need a newer version of BOINC to run. But after all this, I'm not so sure I want to upgrade to 7.x.x.
    I have been running Moo on 6.10.58 with my 5830s for many months.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Thx Z. I read through the first two and the third just referenced the the Number Crunching sub-forum. But I did go through a couple of interesting threads listed there. One post in the thread about one wu per GPU I copied and made into a sticky.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Ah. The problem with any 7xxx on Moo is that the app is CAL. But 7xxx is opencl only, no cal support.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Ah. The problem with any 7xxx on Moo is that the app is CAL. But 7xxx is opencl only, no cal support.
    Then why the heck is Moo even sending it work? Oh well, at least you have an answer.

Edit: Err ummm... Come to think of it, I now seem to recall Bryan or Ste\/e mentioning something along that line.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Then why the heck is Moo even sending it work? Oh well, at least you have an answer.

Edit: Err ummm... Come to think of it, I now seem to recall Bryan or Ste\/e mentioning something along that line.
    The older BOINC server code just checked for the version of the driver and not whether CAL and/or OpenCL is supported. For some reason (probably because they could implement it faster), DA decided to make OpenCL a sub-class of ATI rather than a separate coprocessor type. So, if the server sees you have ATI (and you do because the OpenCL has to be reported as an ATI coprocessor) then it sends out ATI work.

The only fix is for Moo to add a check for OpenCL and CAL and figure out which app to send depending on whether the GPU supports one or the other or both.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12