Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need gpu advice

GregK

need gpu advice

noone knows video cards like you guys so i was thinking of this model: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GeForce...item1e6875bbf8

for the price is there a reccommended model better. i also dont want to make the mistake of buying another weird version like i did before. what do you guys think? would be for gaming.
    gregk
    Last edited by GregK; 04-15-12 at 02:40 PM.

Past Administrator

Re: need gpu advice

Well the 560 is considered a high-end model of the 500 series that was introduced almost a year ago. Most reviews of the EVGA version rate it well.

But don't buy that card on eBay as I found a better price!

Amazon: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Superclocked 2048 MB GDDR5 - $209.99 w/Free Shipping [Price before $30.00 MIR]

Edit: BTW, do you still play WoT???
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 04-15-12 at 03:42 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

You may wish to look at the GTX 560Ti version which is supposed to be faster in that price range.
    560 < 560Ti 384 core < 560Ti 448 core

Check out the Hierarchy chart:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-7.html

If you are set on the Gtx 560 2GB version, there is a cheaper card at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500229 189.99

GregK

awesome! this is why i knew you guys were the ones to ask ti version it is! ill be ordering after may 1st along with 2 more gb of corsair xms2 ram. ill crunch a bit with it when i get it! i burned myself out on wot havnt played much in a few months but i worked my way up to a t32 fully loaded and i have the kv-5. when i can afford premium account again ill probably get back into it. thanks!

GregK

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130758

found this. i know its under 2gb of memory but my new game battlefield 3 says any above 1gb is reccommended so i think im good. i want to be good for a few yrs. my current card is a gt250 weirdo engineering version and i overpayed for it bigtime. before i order what do you guys think of the latest choice? thanks for letting me know of the TI version!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by GregK View Post
    awesome! this is why i knew you guys were the ones to ask ti version it is! ill be ordering after may 1st along with 2 more gb of corsair xms2 ram. ill crunch a bit with it when i get it! i burned myself out on wot havnt played much in a few months but i worked my way up to a t32 fully loaded and i have the kv-5. when i can afford premium account again ill probably get back into it. thanks!
    OK cool, Ti FTW!

On WoT I had the T32 but it was a sinkhole credit wise. Sold it and eventually went back to the T29 (Best American Heavy for the free account). Then I started on the Russian & German tanks.

My current garage

American
    M5 Stuart (Scout w/75mm)
    T29 (Heavy w/105mm)

German
    Grille SPG
    Hummel SPG
    VK3801 (Medium w/88mm)

Russian
    KV (Heavy w/107mm)
    *KV-3 will replace the KV when I acquire about 200,000 more credits...... LoL

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

GregK

i have the is also am working on the is-3 and up those is 3's are amazing as far as im concerned even my t-32 wont touch one. they seem unkillable. well at least for me.

GregK

admin now hey fire. cool congrats on the status! im working now driving a garbage truck. that helps... feeling better and perhaps ill be crunching again. its was hard to be to enthusiastic once the gpu crunching started. made my small farm obsolete and i couldnt keep up back then i could hit top 20 on the team now id be lucky to hit top 500. ill just have to look beyond the credits i think.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by GregK View Post
    admin now hey fire. cool congrats on the status! im working now driving a garbage truck. that helps... feeling better and perhaps ill be crunching again. its was hard to be to enthusiastic once the gpu crunching started. made my small farm obsolete and i couldnt keep up back then i could hit top 20 on the team now id be lucky to hit top 500. ill just have to look beyond the credits i think.
    Thank you sir. And congrats on finding steady work. I know RL has not been too kind but persevering is two thirds of the battle. I'm sure in the near future will have the funds for upgrades and such.

And how is the family doing? Bet the LiL' ones are a hand full atm..... lol

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

@GregK - Hi man, long time! So glad to hear you have work lined up. That is VERY important, crunching is a distant second there.
    If you're looking at the nVidia cards, I would look at Ebay and either go with a GTX 460 for around $100, or if you can swing it, a GTX 560 Ti version, they are routinely on Ebay for around $180 or so these days. Don't worry about not having 2GB of RAM on the GPU - that isn't going to make much of a difference. It's the amount of shader cores that will speed things up, and the 560 Ti version has more.

Hope things continue on the right path there!
    Pop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast