Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did we lose someone?

Silver Member

Did we lose someone?

Noticed I moved up in Aqua, Iber and WUProp. Looked like a highly ranked team member detached from those three projects. By highly ranked I mean 3rd in Iber and I think top 5 in Aqua and top 10 in WUProp.

Platinum Member

Past Admin

Re: Did we lose someone?

Looks like he made himself a new team:

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/...hp?teamid=3029

I hope WE did not scare him off..??
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

I cannot say I am surprised, but I am deeply unhappy about this. Enough so that I probably should not have read this thread on vacation, because now I'm going to be bummed out.
    I had many PMs with him. A good man, and solid in his principles...but, on so many levels, this team is drifting away from his ideal.
    I will let him speak for himself if he ever feels the need to do so. I tried in vain over the last month or so to see if there was anything I could do personally to help him stay. There was nothing...

There were several issues, but I believe the largest is / was the fact that so few care about being #1 overall here. I have to say I could agree with him a little there...we are now at position #3. That may have been the final straw for him, I don't know.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I cannot say I am surprised, but I am deeply unhappy about this. Enough so that I probably should not have read this thread on vacation, because now I'm going to be bummed out.
    I had many PMs with him. A good man, and solid in his principles...but, on so many levels, this team is drifting away from his ideal.
    I will let him speak for himself if he ever feels the need to do so. I tried in vain over the last month or so to see if there was anything I could do personally to help him stay. There was nothing...

There were several issues, but I believe the largest is / was the fact that so few care about being #1 overall here. I have to say I could agree with him a little there...we are now at position #3. That may have been the final straw for him, I don't know.
    So he believes that he's going to achieve No.1 all on his own? If he wants to be No.1, maybe he should join the French team, if that's the thing most important to him.

I would think the team would do better with more members in regards to achieving No.1 overall whether that's their goal or not. Do we only want to accept new members if they can be assimilated to that goal? If not, then I guess we don't want new members. If that's not the case then we're going to have a lot of members who don't think it's the most important thing. You can't have it both ways. If you only want members that are devoted to being No.1 at all cost, maybe it should be displayed somewhere on the invitation to join the team.

Do you want more team members or do you want only team members devoted to No.1?

Maybe the motto should be changed to "Together we can accomplish Number 1".

Let's tell the truth. Who do you want to join the team?

PS. Is the motto even displayed anywhere on the board?

Dude! I just looked to see who it was. That is a huge loss. I'm not surprised either, though.
    Last edited by trigggl; 11-25-10 at 01:36 PM.
    6r39 7r199

Crunch3r has been a dedicated team member for a few years now. His contribution to the team was not only the additional cobbles from his machines. He compiled many optimized project applications and BOINC clients for the team's use and has helped many with software & hardware problems.
    I for one will miss him here but wish him the best of luck in his new endeavor and to his new team.

If you happen to read this thread Crunch3r, once again, thank you for all your efforts to help make SETI.USA one of the top teams in BOINC DC.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    So he believes that he's going to achieve No.1 all on his own?
    Well, about 5 years ago a cruncher by the nick of Project III had the very same idea. Granted that was earlier in the evolution of BOINC but don't ever rule anything out.

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    PS. Is the motto even displayed anywhere on the board?
    I fear this is some of the "old" we have left behind in the reorganization of the team.
    Very sad.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    Crunch3r has been a dedicated team member for a few years now. His contribution to the team was not only the additional cobbles from his machines. He compiled many optimized project applications and BOINC clients for the team's use and has helped many with software & hardware problems.
    I for one will miss him here but wish him the best of luck in his new endeavor and to his new team.

If you happen to read this thread Crunch3r, once again, thank you for all your efforts to help make SETI.USA one of the top teams in BOINC DC.

Bob
    Well said, DrBob. Totally agree.

Past Administrator

Just so it is clear, I was simply trying to explain some of Crunch3r's viewpoints in my earlier post.

I for one, wish EVERY member on this team well, regardless of his/her goals in BOINC DC and what is more, I would (and do) appreciate every single cruncher that adds their cobble stones to this team's output.

As I alluded to above, this is a huge loss for our team, one that almost warrants a moment of silence. Crunch3r is huge in BOINC, not just in crunching, but in project coding, etc. I tried my best to help him stay, but to no avail.
    Crunch3r, we will miss you, my friend.

For those of us left...let us reflect a little on these events, and endeavor to make OUR TEAM the most friendly, encouraging, engaging place in BOINC Land, so that many more crunchers come our way.
    My best wishes to all who have stuck with our team through thick and thin.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Just so it is clear, I was simply trying to explain some of Crunch3r's viewpoints in my earlier post.

I for one, wish EVERY member on this team well, regardless of his/her goals in BOINC DC and what is more, I would (and do) appreciate every single cruncher that adds their cobble stones to this team's output.

As I alluded to above, this is a huge loss for our team, one that almost warrants a moment of silence. Crunch3r is huge in BOINC, not just in crunching, but in project coding, etc. I tried my best to help him stay, but to no avail.
    Crunch3r, we will miss you, my friend.

For those of us left...let us reflect a little on these events, and endeavor to make OUR TEAM the most friendly, encouraging, engaging place in BOINC Land, so that many more crunchers come our way.
    My best wishes to all who have stuck with our team through thick and thin.
    Well I did fly off the handle a bit and I wrote what I wrote before I knew who was the subject of the discussion. As was said, he's the one who knows why he left and I really shouldn't have commented on that without knowing all the facts. What I wrote, though is a valid feeling I have concerning the views of many who have left who were the founders.

I've heard more than once disappointment with the team because not enough people thought that being No.1 was important. When you accept a lot of team members telling them they can crunch whatever they want and that some projects are merely encouraged for those that didn't now what to crunch. Well you're going to get a lot of new teammates that have a different focus. How can you be angry at them for not having the same focus? You're going to leave because not enough teammates care about being No.1?

I've even been told that I'll probably get sick of this team and leave eventually because of the lack of dedication to it. What?! Count me among those that don't think I should give up my life's savings and crunch what I don't want to crunch to accomplish it. I'm not going to avoid high paying projects, but I'm not going to be a slave to them either.

Anyways, I meant no disrespect to Chrunch3r in particular, and despite his bluntness I respect him as a team member. I definitely wouldn't have made the "join the French team" comment if I'd known who it was when I wrote it.
    6r39 7r199

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast