Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Did we lose someone?

Past Administrator

Re: Did we lose someone?

I was going to post a response to this yesterday but it would not have been politically correct.
    Anyhow, for anyone that is interested read his post on the TSP - MW thread old forum here.
    From what I gather, he was mad/upset/angry about the teams recruiting efforts or lack there of. His post also refers to his disenchantment with the this MB.

But I do not understand his reasoning on either point. Effective recruiting takes talent, time and effort. Just ask any military recruiting office. I for one, do not recruit simply because I am not good at it and I cannot commit the additional time and effort to do it justice anyway.

The message board is just a message board and in the tactile sense it isn't even real as it only exists as ones and zeros in some database.

As to being #1 BOINC overall in the world, it is NOT achievable alone unless you have Warren Buffet's kind of money.

Oh well, whatever. It is what it is.

Cheers Crunch3r. Best wishes on your new venture and I hope you can find what you lost with Team SETI.USA.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    The message board is just a message board and in the tactile sense it isn't even real as it only exists as ones and zeros in some database.
    Change always causes friction. New software is something you have to deal with no matter where you go or how long you've been at your job. And, yes, it's usually forced on you, but you still have to learn it and eventually you're able to use it as well as or better than the old. The old board just looks old to me now.

There is one thing from the old board that I would want to be available here and easy to find. I'd like to have a link here, like the link there that you can view active topics. The "New Posts" link here isn't as useful as it should be.
    6r39 7r199

Past Admin

Crunch3r will be missed and I am sorry to see him go. I wish him well and hope he returns one day. He has put a whole lot of time and effort into this team it did not go unnoticed. A Personal thank you for all your hard work on the opti-apps that I use daily. Take care Crunch3r. *Salutes*

Platinum Member

So long Crunch3r.

Gold Member

Team goal #1 is to be 1st in SETI. From what I've seen, most cruncher's with large farms could care less about SETI as a project. They spent a lot of money on their systems and spend a lot every month on electricity and want to get the most out of them. SETI keeps lowering the credit. Not a great incentive to stay. Of the couple dozen heavy hitters we have lost in the last two years, the only die-hard SETI advocate I knew of was literally paid to crunch for our team for a year. As a team, we outproduce LA'F 2 to 1 on SETI. Great. Goal #1 accomplished.

So... what is the #2 team goal? No one really agrees as far as I know. I don't think the 20-30 people that visit the boards speak for everyone. Maybe we really only have the one goal.

We have one goal which many who we with to retain as members don't really care about and no firmly established secondary goals.

...and we wonder why so many people come and go.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    So... what is the #2 team goal? No one really agrees as far as I know. I don't think the 20-30 people that visit the boards speak for everyone. Maybe we really only have the one goal.
    Slicker you are correct. The regular board members do not speak for the whole team. With that in mind, why have so many of the big guns left? Mainly because of disputes among the board regulars. This is our (as in team) quandary.

In regards to team goals here is the "Official" team statement (for those who have never seen it or who cannot fully recall its details):

"welcome to team seti.usa!

our motto:together we will accomplish something amazing!

on march 24, 2005 team seti.usa was created to consolidate united states users and become the #1 seti team in the world.

this goal was achieved within 24 months of inception thanks to the extraordinary efforts of our dedicated membership.

to parlay that effort, and for the benefit of all boinc distributed computing projects, team seti.usa�s commitment to extend beyond a single project has begun.

seti.usa is now boincing the world! join with us as we boldly go where no team has gone before!"

So in a literal sense no specific secondary or tertiary goals are stated. From the above quote, one can infer the teams goal to be #1 in the world. This is my take on it.
    Maybe BJ and/or any other team member who was part of the formation of this team could shed some light on this topic?

Pause (to search the old forum).......

OK, I found something interesting. It is a thread discussion about the "Team Motto" and here is a quote from BJ:

"Since we are talking about the motto..I'll pitch in my 2 cents.

First I want to say that i DO like the motto..give us something to fight for, and it is what first attracted me to the team. There is however something bothersome about it though. If our goal is to attract as many members as possible..it may be better to tweak it just a lil.

Rather than saying that we are trying to catch...and ultimately beat Germany..maybe it would be better to say something like:

The USA has always been known for overcomming adversity. We have historcially always risen from a challenge to accomplish some amazing things. Our goal is to consolidate as many Americans as we can..to be one of the top teams in the world.

(it is a little more benign..than trying to attack Germany...)

It is just an idea..but I am behind the majority..I am willing to go either way..leave it or change it."

And there you have it, "To be one of the TOP TEAMS in the world".

So where do we go from here?
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 11-26-10 at 04:12 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

And there you have it, "To be one of the TOP TEAMS in the world".

So where do we go from here?
    Both LAF and SG are outperforming us by 10M a day. Sounds like we should all be on higher paying CPU projects and also buy more GPUs. Since SETI is down 3-4 days a week, has anyone considered asking our SETI members to add AQUA as a backup project for when it is down? We could probably make up a couple million with just those CPUs alone being focused on higher paying projects.

That and recruit.
    Last edited by Slicker; 11-26-10 at 06:22 PM.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

Both LAF and SG are outperforming us by 10M a day. Sounds like we should all be on higher paying CPU projects and also buy more GPUs. Since SETI is down 3-4 days a week, has anyone considered asking our SETI members to add AQUA as a backup project for when it is down? We could probably make up a couple million with just those CPUs alone being focused on higher paying projects.
    Speaking of high paying, I just returned a PPS(sieve) task from my P4 HT 3.0 GHz. It took 30 hours to do the task, but received 1800 credits. I could have done 2 at once and received 3600 in a little over a day. That's great for a P4.
    6r39 7r199

Silver Member

I can't worry about being #1 overall, I'm too busy crunching QMC. Go Bash Brothers!

Past Admin

That and recruit.
    Not a bad idea here. Say something like, "Hey, remember to set Aqua as a back up to your favorite project".

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast