Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Did we lose someone?

Gold Member

Re: Did we lose someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Agreed. My statements were never meant to be a "Most Do or Leave" thing. The intent is only to make friendly suggestions.
    It may not be the intent, but I think that's the overall impression that's being put out by the invitations and discussions. Appearances are more important than intent when it comes to attracting new members and keeping them.

That's not directed at you though it may appear that way. Pun intended.
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    It may not be the intent, but I think that's the overall impression that's being put out by the invitations and discussions. Appearances are more important than intent when it comes to attracting new members and keeping them.

That's not directed at you though it may appear that way. Pun intended.
    That is precisely why I worded my statements as I did. And this needs to be projected clearly in public team announcements, emails, greetings of welcome and team motto.

So does this require a committee, a MB poll, a survey by email or some combination of these?

P.S. I love puns (Which is why Piers Anthony is one of my fav. authors). And the sharper the pun, the better

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Sad to see a solid member go.

My philosophy is. "crunch your own crunch"

its your computers, its your electric bill.. Crunch what perks your interest.

is it nice to have everyone on the same project/pages for team goals? Absolutely.. but at the same time, every credit crunched is still under the flag of Seti USA

Hopefully he will return if something we do perks his interest again.

Platinum Member

Apparently SG and LAF have outspent us in regards to the newer GPU cards. I guess that's why their economy looks the way it does. We as Americans are a little bit cheap when it comes to investing in things in a down economy and that's why were on a slow uptrend. When we used to have some more big guns here, it made it easy to turn resources to other projects and blow the competition away. We don't have as much resources now compared to the competition. For now we are going to have to survive with IMHO, recruiting. One of the reasons I joined this team was to defend our countries honor by being the best. I've seen us be the best and for some reason this isn't everyone's goal. To each their own I guess, we all have different reasons for doing what we do. I would be willing to purchase more rigs if I knew that by retiring some of the older ones, would not make me pay any more for the electric. I have 6 boxes here at home, 4 of which are P4's without GPU's. I would by 2 more rigs with 5000 series cards if they could be switched with the older boxes without costing me more in electric. Any suggestions to this would be appreciated. This could be done in a new thread.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Groundhog@SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    Here's my definition of #1.

Crunch what you want when you want without pressure from team mates. It should be enjoyable for all.

Heavy hitters are pressured most of all. Just because they are the majority of credits on any given projects, doesn't oblige them to be the team saviors. They don't owe me anything or anyone else.

That's the kind of team I want to be on. I suspect that's the kind of team the majority of team mates that never visit the board want to be on.

Make it enjoyable for enough people and maybe we'll have the retention of members that we need to be No.1 overall. I mean that as a bonus not an objective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsilfin View Post
    Sad to see a solid member go.

My philosophy is. "crunch your own crunch"

its your computers, its your electric bill.. Crunch what perks your interest.

is it nice to have everyone on the same project/pages for team goals? Absolutely.. but at the same time, every credit crunched is still under the flag of Seti USA

Hopefully he will return if something we do perks his interest again.
    I guess I've been negligent in keeping up with what has been going on with the team for a while. I had noticed that there was some disagreements but I fall into the category of only checking the boards occasionally. When the newsletters or emails came asking for help on the project of the month, I tried to run that for a while. I started with the original SETI and still like to put at least some resources with them, though not as much as before. My impression of the team was a way to combine credit on any or all of the projects on Boinc to get as high a total as possible, hopefully ahead of all of the other teams. I never realized that we were supposed to only crunch the projects that someone else dictated. I never felt pressured, but I never have had a large number of systems to put me in the top numbers of workunits. I think the above quotes sum up how I feel. Crunch whatever you want under the banner of the SETI.USA team. Every unit of credit helps.

Richard

Platinum Member

Ok. I'm (obviously) on the crunch what you want bandwagon. I'm deliberately not saying what I'd like the team goals to be because I largely don't care. I'm going to do my own thing regardless. My credits can go to the team, or they can not.

I'm active on the forums because I like the social aspect to it, finding people with common interests, and people to just shoot the breeze with. If I didn't enjoy being on the boards, I wouldn't be here. My two cents.

Past Administrator

OK, maybe its the beer but I'm a little miffed. Nowhere did I state a "must do this or must do that". How does one miss terms like "friendly suggestion" or "here are some of the possible ways"? I have reread this thread and not a single post by anyone says anything like "do this or else." The whole point of my posts at least, has been to generate discussion for a revised set of "SUGGESTIONS" for those who would be "WILLING". Nothing more. No Commandments. No Kamikaze death orders. No pack of lemmings driven over the cliff. (Or is that pigs over the cliff? I get those confused...)

When this team first came into being crunching on a video card was pure science fiction or nearly so. And since its formation some projects have gone bye bye and new ones have taken up residence. There are more teams and a hell of a lot more participants. It would be good for this team to reconcile the past and align itself to the future.

Please lets do "Something"!!! Change is inevitable.

So RL has turned our rose bush into a lemon tree. Great! Time to make lemonade. If all we do is bicker, then this team will fail, utterly.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Dr. Dan

Hi Guys,

Just some food for thought about the good old days, and today..

I have seen many come and go from team to team looking for many different things in a team.

What your team had offered me for a good long time was the fun of doing a stomp. Several of us would do strategies on how to out smart the other teams and push them where we wanted them.

It also gave me the option to sit a stomp out and just crunch what I wanted to crunch.

We had folks who would go to each project and talk to many folks and advertise our team.

We went to different teams and talked to there folks and some would follow us to our home team.

As some of you have stated you want to crunch what you like and when you like. That's cool and as it should be, but one thing is really apparent to me right now is that you are lacking the aggressive side of this team. The folks like Kevin and myself who just love to be very aggressive in our directions.

As I see it from an outsiders view point, is you need to internally divide the team up into 6 parts in your thinking.

1. An area on the team for the aggressive.

2. An area for those who love to follow some ones lead.

3. An area for those who are not so aggressive who just want to be a part of this team and just crunch their own projects.

4. Folks who will go to other teams and talk to them and see who they are and strike up a relationship of gabbing.

5. Some folks who will go out and pick fights with other teams to get the juices going.

6. Folks who will keep posting the team info in the project team recruit areas.

This all may seem crazy but it worked before why not now?

The only thing that I see going on from my view point is item number 3. Its a good item but the rest is also important.

Well have a great weekend and see you guys soon.

DD,

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    OK, maybe its the beer but I'm a little miffed. Nowhere did I state a "must do this or must do that". How does one miss terms like "friendly suggestion" or "here are some of the possible ways"? I have reread this thread and not a single post by anyone says anything like "do this or else." The whole point of my posts at least, has been to generate discussion for a revised set of "SUGGESTIONS" for those who would be "WILLING". Nothing more. No Commandments. No Kamikaze death orders. No pack of lemmings driven over the cliff. (Or is that pigs over the cliff? I get those confused...)

When this team first came into being crunching on a video card was pure science fiction or nearly so. And since its formation some projects have gone bye bye and new ones have taken up residence. There are more teams and a hell of a lot more participants. It would be good for this team to reconcile the past and align itself to the future.

Please lets do "Something"!!! Change is inevitable.

So RL has turned our rose bush into a lemon tree. Great! Time to make lemonade. If all we do is bicker, then this team will fail, utterly.
    Fire$torm, I'm not directing anything toward you or what you said. The original topic was Crunch3r leaving. From what I can tell, first, he really hates this new board, and second, he doesn't feel there's enough people here who care whether we are first overall in the world.

I get the impression and not necessarily from this thread, that there are too many people who are unhappy with us crunching anything but AQUA, DNETC and other highest paying projects. For instance when a lot of the team were doing the 2 week long Primegrid challenge there was some of that.

When I say crunch what you want when you want, that includes all the things that DD listed. Maybe someone wants to follow what the team is doing all the time or maybe they want to do it half the time. Maybe someone cares about nothing but all out credits. There might even be people out there who wonder why we even have credits and just care about the science.

If we are going to have a discussion about team objectives, it should probably be in its own thread and not this one.
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

Fair enough. I will start a team objective thread since no one else has yet. Please join in. I am on vacation so I don't know how timely my responses will be, but I cannot miss this discussion. It is the most important one we have or will have had for the future of this team.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast