Thread: Intel makes a home for Big Brother on Ivy Bridge.

Past Administrator

Intel makes a home for Big Brother on Ivy Bridge.

The full article can be found (Here)

The segment posted below begins at the 12th paragraph after the "The low end of the desktop Ivy Line" graphic.

Note:The first line in the quote is a reference to Intel's marketing "Feature List" that is printed on the retail packaging for the new Ivy Bridge products.
    There are a lot of features in the checkboxes near the bottom........

.....That last one is Intel Insider, and it is a horrendous step backward for Ivy Bridge, and Sandy Bridge before it. Basically it spends power and time to encrypt everything on the system buses. It is useless work, lessened battery life, and the only reason it is there is to placate the content MAFIAA.

To make matters worse, Intel Insider is not user controllable, it is only controllable by unnamed remote 3rd parties who can now do things to your system that Intel won’t list. Seriously, think about the security implications, you are giving an unknown list of entities that are proven to be hostile to users the right to silently deny you use of your computer. They can potentially put things on your PC, take things off, and do so in a way that you can’t control, avoid, or worst of all detect. This ‘technology’ is actively harmful to the owner, and enough of an issue that I suggest that you avoid Ivy Bridge until it is not just fully documented, but user controllable. Scary on a whole new level.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Re: Intel makes a home for Big Brother on Ivy Bridge.

If this is true...you know, makes me wonder who is paying and what profit Intel is making off the backend here. A for-profit corporation such as Intel would not waste valuable R&D, not to mention die space and clock cycles in a competitive environment, without knowing they were going to get something for it.
    Makes you go hmmmmm...???

Gold Member

Intel responds. Nice attempt at giving it a good spin. Looks like the readers don't by it given their comments:

http://blogs.intel.com/technology/20...what_is_it_no/
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

I can guarantee that you will NOT find this "Technology" in any of Intel's business class products. All technology can be exploited and the less one knows how its implemented the easier it can be and sooner it will be. The entertainment Industry has a very long history of exploitation, in every form imaginable. The premise ans social commentary of "Max Headroom" is now a reality.

Welcome to the New World Order.........

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Dang...you think they will keep it out of the higher-end SB-E socket 2011 lineup (or Ivy Brige-E in this case?)

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Dang...you think they will keep it out of the higher-end SB-E socket 2011 lineup (or Ivy Brige-E in this case?)
    No unfortunately not. This is aimed squarely at the entire consumer market segment.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Looks like I will have to stick with AMD for all my plundering and pillaging needs.

Silver Member

You know this stuff is so upsetting and its not the part that having some secure way of encoding media streaming to be secure its the fact they dont tell you up front what it is excatly and what the media providores are able to see about your computer or able to do to your computer, Its scares the dickens out of me. Example i use netflix so if they decide to use this whatever its called and then a hacker starts working for the company and then all of sudden they have direct access to something on the cpu that bipasses all my firewall and security then runs some script that gets info on my bank accounts and so forth.. Not cool i should always be able to control wether i want it or not and if i connect to netflix with it disabled well then thats my choice but i guess that means intel wont be my future choice or am i going to have to buy a xeon to avoid it, who knows..