Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SB-E cruncher build: recommendations?

Diamond Member

SB-E cruncher build: recommendations?

I am putting together another cruncher with a SB-E CPU. I will post a link to the wish list once it shows up in the public list (lag). I am pretty much copying everything from my last build back in November. But I would like some feedback on the mobo and memory. I tend to OC as much as I can without messing with the voltage. But I would like the option of pushing it harder if I ever get the itch. This is what I bought last time. Should I get something different this time?

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130624

Memory (32gb total): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231498

For the GPU, I think I will wait to see what nVidia says about "BigKepler" in mid-May. If it is a more powerful (or less handicapped) GeForce, then I'll get that if the ship date is not too far out. If it ends up being a stupidly over priced Quadro or Tesla, then pass. I'll go with a 680 or 7970. Any idea on when dual versions of those will be out?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Re: SB-E cruncher build: recommendations?

Wow, Z - you are going to become the CPU cruncher extraordinaire!

I really like this mobo for same price: ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional LGA 2011 It only has 4 DIMM slots, but you could still get 32GB RAM in there if you must. Honestly, though - any way we can talk you into saving some $ and getting 16GB for now? (I know how much you love RAM, but prices will only go down on the big sticks ...) My 16GB RAM rig never even touches more than 4GB - no matter what I throw at it! Although, I am sure there is some arcane project somewhere that might peg the 16GB...
    Anyway, I like this mobo because it has 3 year warranty, 4 GPUs could fit nicely if you ever got the itch someday, and if you're only running 2 big GPUs (like dual cards you're hinting at) in it for a while, you can have a LOT of room between the two as well. Just some thoughts...

Are you considering the i7-3930K six core again, or thinking of saving a few bones and trying the $300 3820 SB-E quad?

What PSU will you be using?

Diamond Member

Here is the shopping list: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=16877551

I can see it when not logged on, so I hope you all can too.

I'll respond to the comments a bit later.

Past Administrator

Looks good to me. Go for it!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

List updated. I decided to go with the ASR mobo. Any more comments?

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    List updated. I decided to go with the ASR mobo. Any more comments?
    Awesome! That mobo will give a lot of GPU options later on, depending on how your goals go. Also, Xbitlabs got it O/Ced to 4.5GHz with that CPU without breaking a sweat.
    I like everything else - do you need the 180GB SSD over the 128-ish GB size SSD? Just asking - I mean, is it a crunching rig only, or are you going to be storing some stuff on her? I have a 60GB SATAIII Patriot Pyro SSD in Cheetah now and it's got tons of room left over. But it's a crunching only rig right now, so just asking...
    $120 for 120GB OCZ Vertex3 SATAIII SSD on sale @ Newegg, or if you really need a huge one, another option is the Corsair 240GB SATAIII SSD on sale for $199 after MIR.

That PSU IS SWEET!

EDIT: OK, this is annoying, it cut off half my post. What the heck? Let me retype it real fast:

Newegg has sale on 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 RAM here - if you buy 2 sets of these @ $97 after MIR w/ promo code: EMCNFHF46 that could knock some off your RAM cost?

Lastly, and not sure if you care at all about this, but the next size up watercooler H80, is same price as the one you picked, only after a MIR. Or, the big kahuna - H100 is $95 after MIR w/ promo code: EMCNFHF26
    Last edited by DrPop; 04-25-12 at 12:11 AM.

Past Administrator

Z - if you like that RAM, I see now that FRY's also is selling it 16GB (2x8GB) for $99 or single 8GB stick for $49.99 http://www.frys.com/ads/page15
    That way you could get one set from Newegg and one set from Fry's and then you get both rebates.

Diamond Member

I just pulled the trigger. I made some slight modifications. I also added a couple of 2.5/3.5 drive adapters, just to try out a couple different solutions (in case you are wondering why they are on the list). I should have it up and running by the end of next week. It will be replacing a C2Q machine, and a dual Xeon Core2-based machine. The graphics cards from those two will go into this machine for now.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=16877551

Very nice, I have been thinking along the same lines about updating my gaming rig. The GTX 680 is very nice for the gaming, but not so nice for the crunching... so I think the 7970 will be what I go with.

Here is what I have in the basket right now.... there is a combo deal that drops me another 35$ but that doesn't show in the wish list:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=19225232

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hankey View Post
    Very nice, I have been thinking along the same lines about updating my gaming rig. The GTX 680 is very nice for the gaming, but not so nice for the crunching... so I think the 7970 will be what I go with.

Here is what I have in the basket right now.... there is a combo deal that drops me another 35$ but that doesn't show in the wish list:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=19225232
    Yikes! You've got both ends covered....gaming and crunching. Nice build!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast