Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I see a major problem on Free-DC

Gold Member

Re: I see a major problem on Free-DC

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    I like the way you worded that. You have my vote!
    So if there are no objections, who has the ability to send it out?
    6r39 7r199

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    So if there are no objections, who has the ability to send it out?
    With the recent departure of a longtime member we also lost the ability to mass email the team. Sending out 15k emails tends to be viewed as spam by most ISPs and thus they limit the number / day. We will have to revisit the topic of emailing the team. This is most likely something that we won't have resolved before the next PG challenge.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hankey View Post
    With the recent departure of a longtime member we also lost the ability to mass email the team. Sending out 15k emails tends to be viewed as spam by most ISPs and thus they limit the number / day. We will have to revisit the topic of emailing the team. This is most likely something that we won't have resolved before the next PG challenge.
    Outstanding!

I don't suppose our new surrogate would have the means and willingness?
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

There is no easy way to replace what we have lost. We need to get it together and ensure we do not lose more at this point. Put a turnoquit on the limb - to save the body. Whatever we have to do, somebody do it soon.

I don't know any way of sending out more than 500 or so emails at a go without running your own mail server. I personally just gave up that option (I had the server hardware and MS Exchange software) to do it but Ebayed it last month when I bought my new GPUs.

EDIT: If someone is good with Linux, looks like there is a "free" option for the software part. Any Linux buff around here that could run a *very* part time mail server for us?
    Last edited by DrPop; 11-29-10 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Linux Option

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    There is no easy way to replace what we have lost. We need to get it together and ensure we do not lose more at this point. Put a turnoquit on the limb - to save the body. Whatever we have to do, somebody do it soon.

I don't know any way of sending out more than 500 or so emails at a go without running your own mail server. I personally just gave up that option (I had the server hardware and MS Exchange software) to do it but Ebayed it last month when I bought my new GPUs.

EDIT: If someone is good with Linux, looks like there is a "free" option for the software part. Any Linux buff around here that could run a *very* part time mail server for us?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hankey View Post
    I am willing to work on this; however, I do not have a database with email addresses.

Unfortunately, I did not save the email addresses when I sent out the 1,600 emails about the new forums; if there is still a way to access the old forum member list, I could make a copy... if not I guess I could start a new list with what we have here.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by STMahlberg; 11-29-10 at 02:44 AM.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Gold Member

I've considered doing that, but
    A) Comcast frowns on that sort of thing
    B) DynDNS charges more than I can afford for a service that can do it.

If I send out that many emails through my Comcast link, I think it breaks my user agreement.

I'm willing to do it otherwise, I would just need to learn how to set it up. Wouldn't be the first time I learned something.
    6r39 7r199

I have the complete email list, the exclusion list (opt out) and the bulk mailing software.

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

I already have a server running 24/7 with mail services on it... I should add that my ISP allows me to pretty much do anything I like, as it is a small ISP for a rural community. 6mbps down/1.5mbps up FTW!

I can also easily add MajorDomo list manager software...
    Last edited by KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]; 11-29-10 at 08:00 AM.

Advisor - Stateside Division

I'm running my own mail server (it pretty much comes with linux anyway) so you do still [sort of] have the option of bulk emailing.

BUT, there is a problem which I'm working on. I'm still on a dynamic IP which rarely changes (like once every few years..) and a lot of domains block emails coming from known dynamic IP ranges from major ISP's. (this is common practice as most spambots are sending out emails from unsuspecting users pc's) I'm on roadrunner using their highest tier available without going to business class, which would give me a static IP but cost 3x for the same bandwidth - just not worth it. I've been talking with them but there is just no option at all to get on a static IP.

So, for emails, what I have done is to set up a new gmail account and I'm relaying all mail via that. Was a little tricky to get working as I basically have to hack sendmail to but not that difficult. Not ideal though as it means the email comes from the gmail account rather than what it's 'sent' from. Given that anyone can create a gmail address, they have lots of rules to prevent email flooding, so you can't send out in bulk either.

I've been looking at other options for relaying and this is one of the them. I've talked with them and the emails would be from their intended addresses so that would work. I use easydns for domain names and they only offer 250 per day so that's not an option.

If anyone knows of any other option, I'd like to know.

Bok
    Last edited by Bok; 11-29-10 at 09:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12