Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BOINC Tasks - finding other computers on network?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Past Administrator

BOINC Tasks - finding other computers on network?

Thanks to Bryan, I am finally trying BOINC Tasks instead of trying to manage every computer here directly.

I have installed Boinc Tasks on each rig, and it is running on them along with BOINC being open. How do I add all the computers into BOINC Tasks on my laptop so I can control them all from there? I go to "Find Computers" and click Find - but no love, nothing ever shows up?
    For the record, all 4 computers (this is including the laptop) are running Win7 X64, and all on a home group. I can access each one through the Windows Explorer.

Thanks for any help!

Past Administrator

Re: BOINC Tasks - finding other computers on network?

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Thanks to Bryan, I am finally trying BOINC Tasks instead of trying to manage every computer here directly.

I have installed Boinc Tasks on each rig, and it is running on them along with BOINC being open. How do I add all the computers into BOINC Tasks on my laptop so I can control them all from there? I go to "Find Computers" and click Find - but no love, nothing ever shows up?
    For the record, all 4 computers (this is including the laptop) are running Win7 X64, and all on a home group. I can access each one through the Windows Explorer.

Thanks for any help!
    First you don't need to run the original BM GUI anymore. BOINC Tasks can start and stop the local BOINC client on it own. For versions 6.xx.xx of BM, goto Menu > Advanced > options and under the General tab uncheck the box for "Run manager at login?" then shutdown BM. In version 7.xx.xx goto Menu > Tools > Options.

Now if you have Firewalls on those machine (And you should) you will need to configure each machine to allow boinc.exe inbound and outbound TCP?UDP network access on port 31416. Also BOINC Tasks will need the same on its machine.

Finally in BOINC Tasks click the "Computers" button to switch the window view, then on the main menu click computer > Add Computer and repeat for each system you wish to add.

In the computer list window for each system row click the individual cells to edit its contents.

F$

Edit: Better instructions (Here)
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 04-28-12 at 06:00 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

1) You don't need to, and should not, run BOINCtasks on each machine. Run it just on the one that you will use to control and monitor all the others.

2) On each remote machine, set your gui_rpc_auth.cfg password to something like "password". That will make it easier to add them all to your SINGLE instance of BOINCtasks, running on your controlling host.

3) On each remote machine, add the following line to your cc_config.xml. It allows you to use DHCP, and doesn't matter if your machine running BOINCtasks changes it's IP address. Also saves you having to add entries to each individual cruncher's remote_hosts.cfg.

<cc_config>
    <options>
    <allow_remote_gui_rpc>1</allow_remote_gui_rpc>
    </options>
    </cc_config>
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Wow, thanks Z. I had it all wrong, I guess. I'll go uninstall it on the other rigs and try with that configuration you posted.

Past Administrator

Just an update, that worked perfectly. Now I have all 4 rigs under control of the single Boinc Tasks installed on my laptop. THANK YOU!

Past Administrator

Actually I do have BOINC Tasks on all my systems. It is a replacement for BM. How can it hurt? And as I VNC into the boxes all the time it makes sense to have the same GUI just in case I have to check something.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I like the idea of the color scheme, that sounds very useful. Now we just need an Android and iOS apps that tie into it so we can check out how things are running when away... I suppose if you wanted to get crazy you could do a log-me-in session from the Central rig running BOINC Tasks.
    That's exactly what I did when I set my systems from Memphis, except I prefer TeamViewer....Al

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Well, for starters, it's going to depend on the "Network Mode" you select for the Guests. By default, VirtualBox is going to set you up as "NAT" which means the guest can talk *out* but aren't visible as an independent host from the outside looking in. You need to be in "Bridged Adapter" mode for the guests to each get their own DHCP'd (or statically assigned) address. At which point, BOINCTasks from some other machine will be able to talk directly to your guests like you want.
    I changed it from NAT to Bridged and rebooted VB and BM. I pinged the linux host and it now shares my network. I have internet connection via the browser, but BM refuses to connect. I reinstalled VB. I reinstalled BM. Neither helped the connection for BM. I Did Not reinstall the guest host. So, the network connection problem seems to be isolated to BM only. Any ideas on what I'm overlooking now.
    Last edited by Al; 01-15-13 at 07:02 AM.

Silver Member

I just installed a VB Ubuntu and it worked just like all my other machines. I can see it in B.T. and it has downloaded and is currently running a EoN WU. So I have no idea what/how to help you.
    BOINC Sees it - BOINC DOES it!

Diamond Member

I run Win7 and the same happened to me with primaboinca the WUs just disappeared when I restarted the computer and I don't know where they are. One thing I know they are not in my account or in my computer. The only thing I changed was to BOINC 7.0.44. I was kind of confused with that.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast