Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BOINC Tasks - finding other computers on network?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Well, for starters, it's going to depend on the "Network Mode" you select for the Guests. By default, VirtualBox is going to set you up as "NAT" which means the guest can talk *out* but aren't visible as an independent host from the outside looking in. You need to be in "Bridged Adapter" mode for the guests to each get their own DHCP'd (or statically assigned) address. At which point, BOINCTasks from some other machine will be able to talk directly to your guests like you want.
    I changed it from NAT to Bridged and rebooted VB and BM. I pinged the linux host and it now shares my network. I have internet connection via the browser, but BM refuses to connect. I reinstalled VB. I reinstalled BM. Neither helped the connection for BM. I Did Not reinstall the guest host. So, the network connection problem seems to be isolated to BM only. Any ideas on what I'm overlooking now.
    Last edited by Al; 01-15-13 at 07:02 AM.

Silver Member

Re: BOINC Tasks - finding other computers on network?

I just installed a VB Ubuntu and it worked just like all my other machines. I can see it in B.T. and it has downloaded and is currently running a EoN WU. So I have no idea what/how to help you.
    BOINC Sees it - BOINC DOES it!

Diamond Member

I run Win7 and the same happened to me with primaboinca the WUs just disappeared when I restarted the computer and I don't know where they are. One thing I know they are not in my account or in my computer. The only thing I changed was to BOINC 7.0.44. I was kind of confused with that.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Diamond Member

Maybe it's a "workgroups" thing with windows? I know different versions of windows have different default "workgroups", even between the home and pro versions. No idea why.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Maybe it's a "workgroups" thing with windows? I know different versions of windows have different default "workgroups", even between the home and pro versions. No idea why.
    Well, I just really don't know but I thought a lot about that maybe the tasks didn't report to the Primaboinca server as I had an electric fail and had to boot the computer but I am using config file with report immediately on it, so that shouldn't happen.

My credit will fall a bit nothing serious. Now I am paying attention to Boinc manager and things seem quite normal.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Administrator
    Still no luck getting the vms to show up. I even installed the newest version of VirtualBox and a much newer version of Boinc Manager. Not a huge deal, I just need to be mindful of what's running on the vms I can't easily see. If anyone comes up with any more ideas please let me know. Thanks.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    Still no luck getting the vms to show up. I even installed the newest version of VirtualBox and a much newer version of Boinc Manager. Not a huge deal, I just need to be mindful of what's running on the vms I can't easily see. If anyone comes up with any more ideas please let me know. Thanks.
    I just assign my VMs a fixed IP address. The put that IP address in BOINCtasks manually.

Administrator
    I just assign my VMs a fixed IP address. The put that IP address in BOINCtasks manually.
    I tried that. The only way I've found to do that in VB is to set it to Bridged, as Mumps suggested. When I do that BM won't connect...but I can still use the browser. I find that strange, but there is still a lot about networks that confuse me.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    I tried that. The only way I've found to do that in VB is to set it to Bridged, as Mumps suggested. When I do that BM won't connect...but I can still use the browser. I find that strange, but there is still a lot about networks that confuse me.
    Sorry, I wan't clear. I use fixed IP with bridged.

If your browser can see the internet, then the network is good. Perhaps your linux client has a firewall, and you have to allow BOINC access through it?

Administrator

Sorry, I wan't clear. I use fixed IP with bridged.

If your browser can see the internet, then the network is good. Perhaps your linux client has a firewall, and you have to allow BOINC access through it?
    That crossed my mind too, but previous versions of linux didn't have a firewall installed until I added it. 12.04 doesn't seem to either...at least I can't find one. It really has me confused at this point. Fortunately I don't use the linux/vm very often, so it isn't a huge problem at this point. Thanks for the ideas though. I appreciate it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast