Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: BOINC Tasks - finding other computers on network?

Silver Member

Re: BOINC Tasks - finding other computers on network?

You can try adding yourself to the 'boinc' group, so the (local)user can connect to the boinc-client.

sudo adduser <yourusername> boinc

Then try restarting the VM and see if it(BM) works for you. It did for me, as now when I start up the VM and invoke BM it comes up with out a problem. Where it never connected before, but I was able to the two times I tried after adding my VM Ubuntu user to the boinc group.
    Last edited by kmanley57; 01-16-13 at 12:00 PM. Reason: additional info
    BOINC Sees it - BOINC DOES it!

Administrator
    Sorry, would that be my user name on the computer that runs boinctasks or the computer name?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    Sorry, would that be my user name on the computer that runs boinctasks or the computer name?
    That would be the 'user name' used to log into the VM running boinc, that you are trying to interact with. It is a 'permissions' access problem from installing Boinc Manager, that the Boinc package installer can not handle. While Boinc Tasks uses a port to interact with boinc, Boinc Manager tries to access boinc more directly.

So you have to ADD secondary group(boinc) to the VM users account, which then allows their B.M. program to talk to the boinc program.

This 'fix' was posted on the Ubuntu forum several years ago, and is needed to get Boinc Manager talking to the client process running on the same machine.

Past Administrator

That crossed my mind too, but previous versions of linux didn't have a firewall installed until I added it. 12.04 doesn't seem to either...at least I can't find one. It really has me confused at this point. Fortunately I don't use the linux/vm very often, so it isn't a huge problem at this point. Thanks for the ideas though. I appreciate it.
    I think Z was referring to the Host firewall. That is the problem I have with Outpost Firewall. When I disable Outpost then my VMs can connect to my network. I have tried everything I can think of to set Outpost's rules and such but no joy. There is something internal to Outpost that blocks certain types of network communications. I have the same problem when using the command line (boinccmd.exe) to control remote BOINC clients. Not sure if its an RPC thing, ICMP thing or something else. I just know it has nothing to do with HTTP or HTTPS protocols.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator
    Okay, shutting down the firewalls is no problem, I'll give that a try tonight if necessary. KManley57 has been schooling me by pm and may have hit on the problem as well. We'll see later this evening. Thanks guys!

Silver Member

Al will have to let us know what he finds out, and what fixes his problem with the VM Boinc Manager connection issue.

But I am sure we have the technology to make him better than he was before!

Administrator

Yep, better than I was...this

worked in getting BM to connect to the client and start crunching again. Thanks Keith! I still can't get BoincTasks to see that vm regardless of whether I tell BT to "find" computers or plug in the IP manually. Turned off the firewall, no change. I'll try it on another one of my vms tomorrow and see if I have better luck. Though it would be nice to see everything in one place, my farm is small, so it doesn't cause a real hardship.

Platinum Member

Yep, better than I was...this

worked in getting BM to connect to the client and start crunching again. Thanks Keith! I still can't get BoincTasks to see that vm regardless of whether I tell BT to "find" computers or plug in the IP manually. Turned off the firewall, no change. I'll try it on another one of my vms tomorrow and see if I have better luck. Though it would be nice to see everything in one place, my farm is small, so it doesn't cause a real hardship.
    Launch the client on the VM and check the logs. May be the BOINC allow_remote_gui_rpc, remote_hosts.cfg or gui_rpc_auth.cfg and the password that goes with that. If BOINC itself is invoking security, it'll log it.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Launch the client on the VM and check the logs. May be the BOINC allow_remote_gui_rpc, remote_hosts.cfg or gui_rpc_auth.cfg and the password that goes with that. If BOINC itself is invoking security, it'll log it.
    Do you mean the logs that are set in the cc_config? If so I can do that later. I've never had a reason to want to see them before, so I never added the tag.

Silver Member

Do you mean the logs that are set in the cc_config? If so I can do that later. I've never had a reason to want to see them before, so I never added the tag.
    There is some logging done by default, so at the top of the BM window, you select "Advanced" then "Event Log.." and it will pop up a window with some standard logging messages.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast