Thread: Lost a power supply today :(

Silver Member

Lost a power supply today :(

So I come home from work, eat dinner, then sit down to the computer. Hmmm it sounds a little quiet... Look over and my P4 w/HT and 9600GSO (or is that one the 8800GS) is not running. Push the button, nada. Ah crap... scrounge through all the power supplies I have sitting around and go to my last resort spare 550 for my quad/x6. It only had a 400w in there so this is a huge upgrade. Plug all the connectors in, push the button and yay fans start turning! So glad it was just the power supply and not the rest of the components.

So I lost most of the day crunching both the simap challenge and Dirt on the gpu. I wont let it happen again...

Diamond Member

Re: Lost a power supply today :(

I love it when a left over part finds use like that!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob's Son View Post
    So I come home from work, eat dinner, then sit down to the computer. Hmmm it sounds a little quiet... Look over and my P4 w/HT and 9600GSO (or is that one the 8800GS) is not running. Push the button, nada. Ah crap... scrounge through all the power supplies I have sitting around and go to my last resort spare 550 for my quad/x6. It only had a 400w in there so this is a huge upgrade. Plug all the connectors in, push the button and yay fans start turning! So glad it was just the power supply and not the rest of the components.

So I lost most of the day crunching both the simap challenge and Dirt on the gpu. I wont let it happen again...
    Sounds like my story. I lost a 750 watt psu last night. Swapped in another out a rig in progress and got it back to work fairly quickly. Upside, if there is one, it died quietly and didn't take anything else with it and It's Still Under Warranty!

Past Administrator

@CBS - glad you were able to round up a spare!
    @Al - nice, you rounded up an RMA number instead!