Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Objectives

Past Administrator

Team Objectives

As requested by another member, I am starting a dedicated discussion of team objectives here. To pick up where we left off, a quote from Dr. Dan:

As some of you have stated you want to crunch what you like and when you like. That's cool and as it should be, but one thing is really apparent to me right now is that you are lacking the aggressive side of this team. The folks like Kevin and myself who just love to be very aggressive in our directions.

As I see it from an outsiders view point, is you need to internally divide the team up into 6 parts in your thinking.

1. An area on the team for the aggressive.

2. An area for those who love to follow some ones lead.

3. An area for those who are not so aggressive who just want to be a part of this team and just crunch their own projects.

4. Folks who will go to other teams and talk to them and see who they are and strike up a relationship of gabbing.

5. Some folks who will go out and pick fights with other teams to get the juices going.

6. Folks who will keep posting the team info in the project team recruit areas.

This all may seem crazy but it worked before why not now?

The only thing that I see going on from my view point is item number 3. Its a good item but the rest is also important.
    Much to stimulate all of our frontal lobes there.
    My answer to some of this, is precisely why we started the "Bash Brothers" group. Honestly, we can call it something different if the objectives for the group change, but I think the Bash Bro's group answers items: 1, 2, and 5. (If you don't believe #5, check out QMC and how we stocked the fire over at P3DN!)

The general team just showing up answers item 3.

That leaves us to decide if we want to address items 4 and 6 somehow - which would probably fall under "recruiting" efforts (which we all know and understand has been lacking for at least a year) No surprises here, I'm thinking.

Looking forward to the discussion and everyone's input. Don't hold back - everyone's opinion is valid.

Gold Member

Re: Team Objectives

Something that occured to me earlier today, is, since our strength is not the GPU, perhaps we, as a team, should focus more on being number 1 in projects that don't have GPU apps. Granted, we still want to get GPU's when able and do what we can there, but focus our CPU efforts to projects that don't have a GPU app.

When it comes to my GPU, I go where the credits are best, but my CPU goes towards MM's. Until we have the horsepower to actually shoot for No.1 overall, I think it would be more fun to go for obtainable goals.
    6r39 7r199

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    When it comes to my GPU, I go where the credits are best, but my CPU goes towards MM's. Until we have the horsepower to actually shoot for No.1 overall, I think it would be more fun to go for obtainable goals.
    I could not agree more.

Letīs keep the GPUīs busy, so we donīt fall to much behind creditwise....And then let our AWESOME CPU power get down and dirty with some nice figths!!

I say we come up with a 3 strike plan on how to stir up LAF and SG domination, based on CPU power. Lets pick 3 projects that do only CPU, and we will see what kind of determination LAF and SG really have. If they defend - clearly it matters to them...And if not........
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

vaio

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    I could not agree more.

Lets pick 3 projects that do only CPU, and we will see what kind of determination LAF and SG really have. If they defend - clearly it matters to them...And if not........
    Why stir up the enemy?

You yanks never heard of subtlety and stealth?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vaio View Post
    Why stir up the enemy?

You yanks never heard of subtlety and stealth?
    Did you hear our Iraqi campaign? "Shock and Awe"...

vaio

No comment......not the place for politics.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by vaio View Post
    No comment......not the place for politics.
    Not the place for non-team members either.
    6r39 7r199

vaio

Dear dear.....bit of an attitude there.

Check Primegrid sir!

Past Administrator

Unfortunately my Internet time is probably going to be limited to once / day from here until Thurs when I get back to the office.

For what it's worth, I don't see any problem with stating boldly our team objectives. #1 is obvious: To be #1 in SETI@Home.
    #2 could easily be "strive to attain #1 overall BOINC team score". Now, before anyone gets up in arms about this, please realize something: every single cruncher who is contributing their points to the team's daily total IS WORKING toward this goal. It doesn't matter if he/she is a MM cruncher or a "maximum points" cruncher, or even just a "set it and forget it" cruncher. If their points are going toward our team total, they are helping achieve goal #2 simply by joining the team.
    I do think by spelling it out, though, that it gives those of us who want to be more aggressive about this, a little more to gun for, and a reason to do it.
    Let's face it, no one wants to be part of a team without clear, well thought out, measurable goals.

I'm not saying we need to stop at goal #1 or #2 either. We can have an entire list. But, that list should be on the "about us" page that someone reads before they click "Join This Team" to be a part of SETI.USA. That way, we only attract those people that will stay for the long haul because they knew what our team stood for, and etc, before they jumped in!
    Seems pretty simple to me...we just have to come to a consensus and then edit a few paragraphs of text.
    Last edited by DrPop; 11-28-10 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Spelling, of course!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    Not the place for non-team members either.

I nominate Trigggl for the stirring up trouble group, Group #5.

Vaio, don't be offended by my smilie, it was just such a quick and pointed response from Trig that I laughed out load knowing it confirmed our lack of subtlety. Please laugh along with us.

This and the other related threads recently will require some reading and thought before responding by me. But until then, and I hate to admit it, DD is basically right (means I basically agree with him) that the team has to make room and options for all types of crunchers including kick-ass, Type A, credit ho's. :-) but also the crunch for fun, one PC and no GPU folks. All have to feel equally at home. The USA is a very diverse population of people/crunchers and this team needs to reflect this. And realize that most participants are not active in reading these boards but are still willing to crunch along for SUSA.

And yes, the Bash Bro's need a different name: I'm thinking Marines, Delta Force, SUSA-eals, etc. with an avatar of Chuck Norris or something that says .

This reminds me I need to do something about the tootie-fruity color scheme here. Excuse me while I go out and kick a puppie or something.
    Last edited by NJCaNS; 11-29-10 at 02:24 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast