Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Objectives

Gold Member

Re: Team Objectives

Quote Originally Posted by NJCaNS View Post

I nominate Trigggl for the stirring up trouble group, Group #5.
    I was trying to keep my response short so we could get back on topic. I don't know why people think I'm abrasive.
    6r39 7r199

Gold Member

Letīs keep the GPUīs busy, so we donīt fall to much behind creditwise.
    Looked at the stats lately? We aren't falling behind. We are getting our asses kicked!

Are 500 million credits behind too much? That's the lead LAF has right now. Every day they rack up 10 million more credits in GPUs than we do. That's almost 50% more credit per day!

It sounds to me like the team has given up on regaining #1 in overall BOINC and has decided that #3 is good enough so long as we get a bunch of #1's in CPU projects. Is that our new goal? If so, make it formal and post it on our home page and change the text on all the project's team pages to state the new goal.

If not, then think about this. Of the 20 million credits we each day, 85% come from GPU projects. As kevint said two years ago, it is time to either get on the GPU bandwagon or tuck our tails and slither off to hide. Can CPUs make up for it? Partially, but even on AQUA a $7000 computer only makes 60K per day, about the same as a $100 GPU.

It is cyber Monday, so maybe today is a good day to find a deal and order some GPUs. I certainly don't want the chaffing from walking around with my tail between my legs.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

thepossum1

hahaha chafing, tail between legs---I'm thinking more about those HUGE handprints on our butts where we're getting royally spanked! Dayum.

OK, I guess this is where I need to get up to speed on just what all this GPU stuff is about! Naturally, I'm clueless, but I like the sound of MORE MORE MORE and spanking a little butt ourselves.

OK here's where I go nostalgic---I remember back in the day....... there seemed to be nothing more fun than picking a few fights---ones we had a chance of winning. That was part of the rush. We don't have some of the heavy hitters we used to have, so we definitely need to come up with a plan to maximize what we CAN do.

Sorry--I couldn't give a rat's a$$ about Seti these days. Stopped crunching it back when there was such a big hullabaloo on the MB over there. Left in protest and never looked back. BUT I would be willing if it was worth it. Yes, it's what got this team started so I still have a soft spot for it.......somewhere.
    As for useful solutions for our predicament, I'm afraid I don't have any right now. I do have to agree with Dr. Dan also --we need to have room for all different types of crunchers and they need to feel like they are wanted & needed. Hard road to walk--since by trying to appeal to all, we pi$$ off some.

Silver Member

I think this all relys on us recruiting and being big. The other big contenders seem to have more communication and more people from their country rallying to them.

We have all kinds of USA Teams.. Military, colleges etc etc etc.. If we could pool them all under 1 team.. It would be #1 with ease.

However we have never found a way to make that happen.

As far as Seti @ home goes, we are eventually going to fall behind and never be able to keep up... http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_...?teamid=138578 the GPU Users Group if they keep up will eventually pass us with a fraction of the people we have simply because they are using GPU's

I like to crunch my own crunch, and have in the past joined in on team rallies, but more so when an email went out reminding or rallying the troops or as I recall the Seti USA news letter.

At the end of the day Communication and recruitment are the 2 keys to victory across the board.

A way to keep in touch with all team members across all projects should be a #1 priority and 2ndly look to keep recruiting and seeking ways to have USA bound teams merge into Seti USA or at the end of the day maybe a new team should be formed.

Team USA across all projects which would rally people as "Seti.USA" Implies Seti @ home and not a broad USA based team.

*Shrug* Food for thought.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Looked at the stats lately? We aren't falling behind. We are getting our asses kicked!

I were just being polite.....I think that all of us here knows that we are getting our collective butt handed to us....But just to point out what I mean:

http://www.primegrid.com/hosts_user.php?userid=73484

This is a fairly new guy on our PG team...He has 2 CUDA cards. 1 x GTX260 and 1x GTX 460
    His GPUīs are making lots of errors..So he has a RAC at 7-8.000 even running CUDA WU....Thatīs insane...He could be doing 100.000+ even running only 8-9 hours per day!!
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    I were just being polite.....I think that all of us here knows that we are getting our collective butt handed to us....But just to point out what I mean:

http://www.primegrid.com/hosts_user.php?userid=73484

This is a fairly new guy on our PG team...He has 2 CUDA cards. 1 x GTX260 and 1x GTX 460
    His GPUīs are making lots of errors..So he has a RAC at 7-8.000 even running CUDA WU....Thatīs insane...He could be doing 100.000+ even running only 8-9 hours per day!!
    Nice catch. I sent him a PM with some suggestions on how to eliminate the errors as well as how to use his CUDA cards.

Past Administrator

Obviously we are getting thrashed, and it ticks me off. There is NO way we should just lay down and take this. Where is the collective #1 attitude that made the USA such a great place to begin with? Arrrrrrgggghhhh! The situation is the same in the country as it is on the team!

Dorsil - we discussed a name change briefly before - but I don't think it can be done without starting our credits over from zero. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I do agree with you, as I think the name SETI.anything is sorely outdated these days. What's ironic, is that the team "mode", hardware, and "thinking" reflects the outdated name! This is a classic problem in any industry...every business is the same. BOINC included. Evolve or die. Period. No one, not even us, is going to escape that. Wake up people!

I agree with you Possum - I could care less about crunching SETI these days as well after some discussions with their "crew" about the outages. I don't appreciate the attitude there, and would not care to crunch it even, until there is a change in their tone.

Slicker, I don't know what else to do anymore. I'm beginning to approach the "whatever" point. Obviously, we're not making any headway with the general population of the team...I "say it", you just "showed it" and I don't know what else there is to do about it.
    Somebody help. This team is quickly going to fall to a non-recoverable point as far as overall BOINC score...not because we can't make up the difference, but because the drive is gone. Where did it go? People, let's get it back!

If you go to Free-DC.org and look at output by COUNTRY, you will see that the USA is spanking every single other region, and by a HUGE margin. All we need is more of the group on board with our clan. But to do that, we have to make this an energetic, friendly, goal-oriented, butt-kicking place, and then that will attract them out of principle! How do you think this team got "big" in the first place? Once that drive was gone (about a year ago, +/-), the team started to disintegrate.
    It's how the Universe works. Let's harness that power and use it, instead of letting it destroy us further.

Now I'm off to go enjoy one of my last couple days of vacation. I hope I can check back in later tonight and see what exciting ideas you all came up with.

Silver Member

Dorsil - we discussed a name change briefly before - but I don't think it can be done without starting our credits over from zero. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I do agree with you, as I think the name SETI.anything is sorely outdated these days. What's ironic, is that the team "mode", hardware, and "thinking" reflects the outdated name! This is a classic problem in any industry...every business is the same. BOINC included. Evolve or die. Period. No one, not even us, is going to escape that. Wake up people!

No way to change without losing the credit.. but does that "Old" credit matter?

if we changed names and came out as the highest RAC in multiple projects.. new members joining and wanting to support their country would see "Insert awesome USA name here" and join up

That would at the very least get the set and forget crunchers under our banner for USA.

As far as mass communications go, I think only for call to arms or Races should mass emailings happen. this way we dont bother the set and forget people too much with emails about every day/week/month crunching business and turn them away from the team.

I joined the team because I saw it as the Number # 1 rac in seti back in the day.. I had no idea the vast amount of projects it covered until hitting the website and joining the forums.

Im content being a set and forget guy, I dont need to watch my numbers daily or be involved on a forum to be apart of the team. but I do like checking in and chatting people up once in a while. Maybe many are like me?

so maybe a "been away a while? check in here " forum where we can list the top paying projects for CPU/GPU/Operating system /Current team projects/pushes stuff like that so those who check in once in a while can find a quick catch up forum with a few posts about where we are currently and stuff like that.

just throwing some ideas about

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Nice catch. I sent him a PM with some suggestions on how to eliminate the errors as well as how to use his CUDA cards.

Thanks.

Here is some more work if you are up to it:

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/...?userid=138114
    GPU: GTX 260

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/...?userid=138122
    GPU: 9800GT

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/...?userid=138203
    GPU: GT230M

All new guys at MW on our team.

Here is one from our SETI team:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/hosts...userid=9372831
    GPU: GTX 470

You want more?
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Gold Member

Changing a Team Name
    Unfortunately, while everything else in the BOINC database has either an id (numeric) or a cross project id (guid), a team's only unique identifier is its name. That means that all the stats sites use the team name to identify a team and, if you change it, the stats for the old name would still appear for the old name and only the stats for the new name would appear with the changed name. Not exactly what we want. So, the only other option is getting all the projects and all the stats sites to manually rename a team all at the same time.

The other option is to get DA to add a "Display Name" field so that while the stats can all run off the original team name, the projects can display the new field which the founder would be able to modify.

That all being said, while I'm not opposed to changing our name if we could, changing the name won't make us #1. To re-take #1, we need new recruits and those recruits need to have GPUs and be willing to crunch on GPU projects.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast