Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a fan

Platinum Member

Re: a fan

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Sorry to add more but one thing many owners forget is to clean their CPU & GPU coolers.
    Agreed. If you haven't taken your side panel off and sucked the dust out lately (or ever), now is a great time. Depending on how dusty it is, you could easily lower CPU temp by 20C or more. Personally i just use the hose attachment on my home vacuum cleaner.

Silver Member

Be very careful with vacuum powered blowers specially cleaning fan that have power connectors to the motherboard you can send voltage back into the board and possibly damage it. Just stick something in the fan to stop if from spinning when cleaning or unplug the cables.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Yes! Absolutely. Can you tell me the make and model of your case and then what fans you already have in there? I and some of the others may have a few spares even...depends on what size of fan(s) you need.
    I have two Dells. Mine is a Studio XPS 8100 my husband's is basically the same but a year newer (so I am not positive the model), windows 7 64bit. The cases basically look the same. Sounds like I have several different cooling options!
    Last edited by artemis8; 05-07-12 at 01:13 AM.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    What CPU and GPU so you have in there? We can look up the safe temp threshold on a specs page. High 80s °C for GPU is a safe level....I personally don't like them to hit 90°C or above, although you would have to push it over 100°C to kill it.

CPU - AMD I don't like my X6 to go anywhere over 60°C under 100% load. Mid 50s is better.
    Intel - depends on the chip - the new S.B. is rated quite high, and Dad's crunches in the mid 70s or so just perfect.
    My gpu is an ati radeon HD 5700 series. My cpu is an intel i7 860 2.80GHz. Hubby has an Intel i7-2600 3.40GHz

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Sorry to add more but one thing many owners forget is to clean their CPU & GPU coolers. Canned air works great for this. You can use a vacuum cleaner but you need to be very careful. Adding fan filters to any intake fans will also help to keep dust out of the case. The filters need to vacuumed at regular intervals but that is easier then having to clean the inside of your computer.

The best AMD/Intel CPU cooler for under $25 dollars is the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. Its only limitation is it won't fit in some much older narrow ATX cases or any "Slim" ATX cases.

Best price: Geeks.com - $14.99 +S/H (Link)

Newegg installation video ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1DGR...layer_embedded
    I usually don't open the case, but I always check the vents to make sure they aren't blocked, as I have cats and my computer is like a fur magnet.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by artemis8 View Post
    I have two Dells. Mine is a Studio XPS 8100 my husband's is basically the same but a year newer (so I am not positive the model), windows 7 64bit. The cases basically look the same. Sounds like I have several different cooling options!
    Yours looks like this????

Quote Originally Posted by artemis8 View Post
    I usually don't open the case, but I always check the vents to make sure they aren't blocked, as I have cats and my computer is like a fur magnet.
    Yeah, I know that well. The problem is with the smaller dust/dander particles. They will eventually get on and in everything. So if it is not removed it acts like a winter down comforter keeping all the heat from escaping from the coolers. Neglecting to clean CPU/GPU coolers is the number one reason for computer failure in the consumer segment. This wasn't an issue 15 years ago so lots of folks were never enlightened and I'm sure quite a few have been duped into buying new hardware by unscrupulous repair centers......

Bottom line is it needs to become a regular routine especially for those who BOINC.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

@Artemis - if that is the case you have, the one in F$'s picture: best you can do is take the cover off and blow it out real good; be surprised what finds its way in there! Then, take a look at the exhaust fan that's on the back and note the amps (12V DC). Can you see if there is a front fan, down on the bottom front of the case? There should be, and it should be blowing in.

I am sure we could find some higher amp fans for you that will blow more CFM. Just let me know the amp number on there and I'll hook you up if you want a more powerful one. However, you may try F$'s suggestion of taking the case off and blowing it out real good first, just in case that fixes it.

Your i7 860 CPU has a max operating temp of 72.7 degrees C. I would aim for a mid to high 60's C under 100% load on all cores. Try not to go too much higher than say, 68 C.
    The 5700 series ATI GPU should be able to sustain operation at 100% load up into the 80's C at least.

Silver Member

Everyone always recommends blowing it out. The step everyone forgets though is if you haven't done it in a while or EVER. TAKE THE CASE OUTSIDE OR IN THE GARAGE!! You will have a dust cloud for a little while and you don't want all that dust floating around in the air.

Diamond Member

The Fan felt down of the computer. GEEEEZ

Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    The Fan felt down of the computer. GEEEEZ

I guess he'll be taking the bus.

The subwoofer amp puts out a lot of heat.
    6r39 7r199

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12