Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Einstein: Einstein@Home GPU Application for ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Silver Member

Re: Einstein: Einstein@Home GPU Application for ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    I was looking for one app to Einstein and I could find one for cuda but I can not use it with the HD5770. Someone knows about one to use with ATI that could work fine?
    As soon i figure out how to tame my 5770 ill let ya know...

Diamond Member

Thanks coronicus. The use of about 70% of the GPU is good but I think could be better. The system seems to float a lot also. The use of CPU changes in every second. I think the use of one core for two tasks could improve a lot the use of the GPU. Also the CPU can (with 2 cores) seems unable to run 2 CPU tasks and 1 GPU task. So to lose one core better run 2 GPU tasks at once. Only my thoughts about that, sorry if I said something very wrong.

The Einstein for GPU seems to error more than usual with all kinds of mistakes.Some tasks had been ran for 6 users and they keep on putting them to run again and the credit, well 500 points is not much (when they give them) for a GPU crunching, if we look at the electric bill. I am there because the team is in the Euro Crunch 2012. Of all the 6 tasks I made for GPU only one count as credit for the team.

I think this is really bad for a project to go anywhere, sometimes I think if the credits are paid with the scientists money. 500 points for more than 2 hours of GPU crunching is very few, even for me. I made some SETI beta and is almost the same thing, I hope they don't make a fashion out of this.

But many thanks coronius, you are always trying to help and that is very good.

Very sad Duke with Einstein credits.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Gold Member

To get Einstein GPU apps to work well, I had to do the following

1) Removed overclock setting on the GPU. I read multiple comments of people having issues. This removed nearly all of my invalid problems.
    2) Decreased the % of processors used in the preferences. This frees up the CPU to feed the GPU and improves overall points. For my 8 core I am using 66%, which only allows 5 of the CPU threads to be used by Boinc.
    3) To get more thruput I changed the "GPU utilization factor of BRP apps" to 0.5 in the Einstein account preferences. This will allow 2 tasks to run per GPU, but will also take more CPU (GPU credit is better). This setup needs 2 more CPU threads on my machine (0.5 CPU per task times 4 tasks). So that leaves me with 3 CPU threads to run CPU tasks. The GPU gets used more and overall is faster for completeing 2 tasks. (Note: only do this if your GPU has enough memory).
    4) Unchecked the box for "Run CPU versions of applications for which GPU versions are available" - they take too long on the CPU.

On a 2 core system I would suspend CPU tasks and only run Eistein GPU tasks.

Also for my ATI cards, I had to upgrade the Boinc Client to 7.0.28. Looking at others results, cuda cards must be able to use 7.0.25

Diamond Member

Thanks Emsti. The only issue there is I am overclocking the GPU. It worth while a lot. I will stop the overclocking the GPU meanwhile.
    The use of GPU for 2 tasks needs an app once Einstein defines the WUs as as using one GPU for task. As my GPU is a simple one I would run only one GPU task and no CPU tasks. I would lose one CPU task and that is my main credit at Einstein for the moment.

Duke
    Last edited by Duke of Buckingham; 06-21-12 at 04:56 PM.

Administrator
    Good synopsis EmSti. I was going to write something about this and you saved me the time.

F$ - can that post be promoted to an article for future generations of Einstein crunchers?

Silver Member

Thanks for the tip emsti that did help get my 6950 running full on but the 5770 eludes me as it is for duke... for some reason it refuses to run two task on the gpu even though it has 1g vram. but im still trying just a tad busy if anyone else has solved this puzzle please let me and duke know would love to see this thing running at 90+%.. so far i tried installing latest amd driver as well as the latest beta boinc but that did not solve it tried a few cc_config stuff but that did help any yet. so ill keep trying and let you know if i figure something out but so far i have had no luck..

oh the new driver from amd did solve the reboot issue it was having fyi.. updated 12.3 to 12.4
    Last edited by coronicus; 06-21-12 at 04:52 PM.

Diamond Member

Try to take out one point for the GPU on the app. This system is very tied and as no space for defenitions. So I think. Taking 1% of the CPU was quite a lesson as Z told me. I think they didn't gave space to any mistakes.

Duke

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    Thanks for the tip emsti that did help get my 6950 running full on but the 5770 eludes me as it is for duke... for some reason it refuses to run two task on the gpu even though it has 1g vram. but im still trying just a tad busy if anyone else has solved this puzzle please let me and duke know would love to see this thing running at 90+%.. so far i tried installing latest amd driver as well as the latest beta boinc but that did not solve it tried a few cc_config stuff but that did help any yet. so ill keep trying and let you know if i figure something out but so far i have had no luck..

oh the new driver from amd did solve the reboot issue it was having fyi.. updated 12.3 to 12.4
    Another bizzare thing I ran into is trying to get the wus to follow the preference setups. Switching between work and home locations (one with .5 and the other with .33 for the gpu utilization) doesn't always take effect right away. I have forced update, aborted tasks, restarted clients, etc and had no luck. The log would say the location changed but didn't have an immediate effect. But after a few cycles of wus finishing, the change would suddenly kick in. A few times it was immediate. I even tried forcing it in the client state xml and restarting; it was ignored. Currently hand managing hydra6 as I try to get it back to 2 per gpu.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmSti View Post
    Another bizzare thing I ran into is trying to get the wus to follow the preference setups. Switching between work and home locations (one with .5 and the other with .33 for the gpu utilization) doesn't always take effect right away. I have forced update, aborted tasks, restarted clients, etc and had no luck. The log would say the location changed but didn't have an immediate effect. But after a few cycles of wus finishing, the change would suddenly kick in. A few times it was immediate. I even tried forcing it in the client state xml and restarting; it was ignored. Currently hand managing hydra6 as I try to get it back to 2 per gpu.
    well well that did the trick cancled the one it was working on and the que and now the 5770 is running 92% with two task.. thank you so much..

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    Good synopsis EmSti. I was going to write something about this and you saved me the time.

F$ - can that post be promoted to an article for future generations of Einstein crunchers?
    ---> http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php...2714#post42714

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast