Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Einstein: Einstein@Home GPU Application for ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Diamond Member

Einstein: Einstein@Home GPU Application for ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

After more than a year of work by Oliver Bock, Bernd Machenschalk, Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein and other developers, we are pleased to announce the release of the first Einstein@Home application for ATI/AMD Graphics Cards.This OpenCL application, which searches Arecibo data for new radio pulsars, is about a factor of ten faster than the same search running on a typical CPU. The application is currently available for Windows and Linux computers with Radeon HD 5000 or better graphics cards. We hope to have a version for Macintosh (Apple OS X 10.8, Mountain Lion) sometime this summer, but there are still some problems that need to be fixed or worked around.Volunteers who wish to run this application will need to install version 7.0.27 or later of the BOINC client. Please see this thread for more information, or if you want to ask questions.Many thanks to the AMD/ATI for their support in the OpenCL software development effort.Bruce AllenDirector, Einstein@Home<a href="http://www.khr...opencl.png</a>[/IMG]

More...

Diamond Member

Re: Einstein: Einstein@Home GPU Application for ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Nice to see another option for ATI cards!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Nice to see another option for ATI cards!

I hope the credits are competitive.

Diamond Member

No change in the credits. 500/task. This is not a project for max credit hunters.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Diamond Member

Nice is a project for me.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    No change in the credits. 500/task. This is not a project for max credit hunters.
    Which is a real pity. If they offered better credits I would crunch Einstein all the time. Love this project...they actually do something useful with the data!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Which is a real pity. If they offered better credits I would crunch Einstein all the time. Love this project...they actually do something useful with the data!
    Um, excuse me, a GPU app that's 10 times faster than the CPU version and offers the same number of credits per WU? At least it gets a cruncher to random MM's 10 times faster. If not as fast as a Donate or Collatz, still faster than a CPU project...

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Um, excuse me, a GPU app that's 10 times faster than the CPU version and offers the same number of credits per WU? At least it gets a cruncher to random MM's 10 times faster. If not as fast as a Donate or Collatz, still faster than a CPU project...
    10x faster for the same credit is 10x more credit per day than if crunching via CPU.

MM chaser's should not read the rest of this message as it goes against their main philosophy. But, from a strictly TopGun point of view....

That's like saying a Money Market is a much better invenstment than a savings account because it pays 1.5% vs. 0.5%. When you consider that inflation is 2.5% or higher, you are actually losing money by putting your cash into any type of bank run investment! By comparison, if you invest in bonds and stocks and you will see 5-8% increase on average and earn money rather than lose it. I see Einstein CPU app as a savings account. Their GPU app (Money Market account) is better, but why keep losing credits when other projects like DiRT, PG, MW, Moo, Donate, Collatz, etc. (Stocks and Bonds) are known to pay so much more?

Or....

Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
    Doctor: Then stop doing it!
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

Just received credit for my HD 6970 on this project and it is definitely NOT worth running on an AMD card.

Run time was nearly 8 hours for only 500 credit.

That comes out to 63 credits/hr or 1519 credits/day.

My Nvidia GTX 590 does 2 tasks in about 40 minutes.

As mentioned, this isn't a project you run for top credit. Stick with Nvidia here if you must crunch it. Perhaps it will become more efficient in the future for AMD?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    Just received credit for my HD 6970 on this project and it is definitely NOT worth running on an AMD card.

Run time was nearly 8 hours for only 500 credit.

That comes out to 63 credits/hr or 1519 credits/day.
    Hmm, my only attempt on a 5850 lead to failure after 0.94 hours and if not mis-remembers around 80% done, so close to 8 hours seems much too high.

But granted, computer crashing multiple times and taking the checkpoint-file with it in the process can also have screwed-up the cpu-time, so...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast