Thread: Frustrated...

Silver Member

Angry Frustrated...

I logged onto the two projects we're supposed to be helping with, but i CAN'T make the system accept my selection of SETI.USE as my team... I click on the name and it brings me HERE... not what I want and I can't figure out how to select a team and get it to be MY team on these sites... ARGH!!!

If it's not broken, give me 5 more minutes!

Cruncher Pete

Re: Frustrated...

Quote Originally Posted by Justgeo1 View Post
    I logged onto the two projects we're supposed to be helping with, but i CAN'T make the system accept my selection of SETI.USE as my team... I click on the name and it brings me HERE... not what I want and I can't figure out how to select a team and get it to be MY team on these sites... ARGH!!!
    Yes, I agree, it can be a bit frustrating if you do not know how and if this is your first try. I assume from your writing that you have joined QMC@Home project for example by creating an account there. If not than let me know and I will tell you how. Otherwise, continue and do the following:

1. In your Boinc Account Manager select the QMC@Home project and go to the projects Home Page by clicking on "Home Page" in the menu on the left.

2. In the Home Page Menu that appears from the menu on the left, select "View and Modify your Account" by clicking on it.

3. Sign In by completing the User Name and Password Options.

4. In your account page select from the menu on the right "Find a Team" by clicking on it. (If you are already a member of another team than "Quit Team" first than click Find a team after that)

5. In the Screen "Find a Team" enter in the search field: SETI.USA and click "Search"

6. In the screen "Search Results" click on the team Name SETI.USA on the left.

7. In this Team Description Page Click "Join this Team" which is about the 5th option under the SETI.USA Statistics logo.

Good luck and thank you for your help. Let me know if it does not work or how far you got before you got into trouble. Enjoy...

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher Pete View Post
    Yes, I agree, it can be a bit frustrating if you do not know how and if this is your first try. I assume from your writing that you have joined QMC@Home project for example by creating an account there. If not than let me know and I will tell you how. Otherwise, continue and do the following:

1. In your Boinc Account Manager select the QMC@Home project and go to the projects Home Page by clicking on "Home Page" in the menu on the left.

2. In the Home Page Menu that appears from the menu on the left, select "View and Modify your Account" by clicking on it.

3. Sign In by completing the User Name and Password Options.

4. In your account page select from the menu on the right "Find a Team" by clicking on it. (If you are already a member of another team than "Quit Team" first than click Find a team after that)

5. In the Screen "Find a Team" enter in the search field: SETI.USA and click "Search"

6. In the screen "Search Results" click on the team Name SETI.USA on the left.

7. In this Team Description Page Click "Join this Team" which is about the 5th option under the SETI.USA Statistics logo.

Good luck and thank you for your help. Let me know if it does not work or how far you got before you got into trouble. Enjoy...

Now that worked, but I wish it was easier to find that button or easier to place my team on my account on these sites... Gotta be a better way...

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Justgeo1 View Post
    Now that worked, but I wish it was easier to find that button or easier to place my team on my account on these sites... Gotta be a better way...
    If you have any ideas on how to improve it, join the BOINC_DEV email list and send them to the developers. Personally, I think a button would be more visible than the link to join but that might be just a personal preference. I don't expect links to take actions. I expect buttons to do that (e.g. submit, cancel, etc.). Suggestions deemed to make BOINC more user-friendly often get addressed -- at least if they are for the general public.

That having been said.... Suggestions that all the cc_config flags and options be available via the GUI since they are helpful with support have gone on deaf ears because they think it will confuse too many people. That's the same reason they moved the event log from the tabs to the top menu. I guess one or two people thought that all the events were errors so they did a knee-jerk reaction and made it more difficult for the admins to get the users to even get to the real errors when there are problems. Instead, we now have the totally annoying notices tab. Sure wish there was a flag to disable that So, it really depends on whether DA likes it or not. If he does, it goes in. If not, it doesn't matter how many people disagree. But it is worth a shot. Worst he can say is no. Even if he does, if you keep asking, you may wear him down.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    If you have any ideas on how to improve it, join the BOINC_DEV email list and send them to the developers. Personally, I think a button would be more visible than the link to join but that might be just a personal preference. I don't expect links to take actions. I expect buttons to do that (e.g. submit, cancel, etc.). Suggestions deemed to make BOINC more user-friendly often get addressed -- at least if they are for the general public.

That having been said.... Suggestions that all the cc_config flags and options be available via the GUI since they are helpful with support have gone on deaf ears because they think it will confuse too many people. That's the same reason they moved the event log from the tabs to the top menu. I guess one or two people thought that all the events were errors so they did a knee-jerk reaction and made it more difficult for the admins to get the users to even get to the real errors when there are problems. Instead, we now have the totally annoying notices tab. Sure wish there was a flag to disable that So, it really depends on whether DA likes it or not. If he does, it goes in. If not, it doesn't matter how many people disagree. But it is worth a shot. Worst he can say is no. Even if he does, if you keep asking, you may wear him down.
    Now that sounds like a possible solution!