Thread: NVIDIA Announces GK104 Based Tesla K10, GK110 Based Tesla K20

Diamond Member

NVIDIA Announces GK104 Based Tesla K10, GK110 Based Tesla K20

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5840/g...ased-tesla-k20

So the K10 is basically a rebadged 690. And the GK110, which is what I was waiting for, won't be available until Q4 sometime.

Looks like it's time to stop waiting and get either a 690 or a 7970. When is the dual 7970 due to be announced again?
    Last edited by zombie67; 05-17-12 at 06:16 PM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator
    I thought rumors were 7990 at the end of this month, Z, but I don't know how many "good" chips they're getting out of the foundries yet. They cherry-pick the best out of all of them for the dual cards, to keep the electron leakage and temps as low as possible...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Past Admin

Re: NVIDIA Announces GK104 Based Tesla K10, GK110 Based Tesla K20

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I thought rumors were 7990 at the end of this month, Z, but I don't know how many "good" chips they're getting out of the foundries yet. They cherry-pick the best out of all of them for the dual cards, to keep the electron leakage and temps as low as possible...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm getting tired of waiting myself. Our Rac has been pretty bad the last few weeks. I know we've been on a challenge but other teams seem to keep pushing their rac up. Time to keep up. I'll wait till the end of the month then pull the trigger. Really wanted the 7990 if it was going to be cheaper than two 7970's. As well, we shall see.

Platinum Member

AMD will hold off with the launch of HD 7990 and leave the official announcement for the Computex 2012 show on June 5th. The only + side to this is since they already have them ready, they can stockpile quantities to keep all the retailers from being sold out within 10 minutes.

Past Administrator

Thanks for the inside scoop, JPM! Good news is, that's only about a week delay from the rumors we were hearing.

@Z and Mike - do you guys think you can wait 3 weeks to see the price / performance ratio?

Diamond Member

My dilemma is not purely performance. I am not a gamer. The GPUs I buy are crunchers. So while it may be obvious that the 7970 beats the 680, I also have to consider projects. nvidia has a broader range of choices. AMD has a generally higher paying list of projects, but fewer options. Eventually, opencl will make the choice of projects moot. And CPUs like ivy bridge will also participate in "gpu" projects.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

That makes sense, for sure - I understand your point. From a performance perspective, then - may as well stick with the GTX 590 dual GPU as the top nVidia Cruncher then...or 2 GTX 570s is a nice price point these days. I mean, the GTX 680 and 690 bring no added crunching power - in fact less in some cases - for more money.

I do think as you said, the gap in projects is narrowing, though. I quick look in our projects forum shows a lot of both ATI/AMD and nVidia projects - I don't really think one has such a big edge on the other these days. I know you're not into credits that much, but when you consider a 7970 gets 1Mil+ per day at DiRT..the 7990 dual GPU card is going to be monster!

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Thanks for the inside scoop, JPM! Good news is, that's only about a week delay from the rumors we were hearing.

@Z and Mike - do you guys think you can wait 3 weeks to see the price / performance ratio?
    Yeah, I can wait. Let's me save up some more money. It really comes down to price / performance. I hope that they don't announce a 3rd or 4th quarter release date for the 7990. More like End of June beginning of July is fine.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    Yeah, I can wait. Let's me save up some more money. It really comes down to price / performance. I hope that they don't announce a 3rd or 4th quarter release date for the 7990. More like End of June beginning of July is fine.
    If you can actually find one to buy.