Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Science News

Gold Member

Re: Science News

Quote Originally Posted by Justgeo1 View Post
    That could be very helpful in foggy conditions or anytime it's hard to see the road. Might be nice to have in the Seattle area... if it doesn't wash off too fast...
    Does Seattle have enough sunshine to get the paint to show? I remember being at Ft. Lewis and seeing an awful lot of rain and fog.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Silver Member

All I can think of is TRON!
    And this would be my ride....

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godric View Post
    All I can think of is TRON!
    And this would be my ride....

A ride
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    A ride

Silver Member

Exclamation Forgotten

Technology Changing So Quickly, The Old Is Forgotten

This made me feel old, the current generation of preteens don't even know about Walkmans.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    Does Seattle have enough sunshine to get the paint to show? I remember being at Ft. Lewis and seeing an awful lot of rain and fog.
    Too true, unless the paint saves all the energy from our short summers, it might not work up here in the Pacific Northwet!

If it's not broken, give me 5 more minutes!

Diamond Member

Twin Earth May Be Better Than Earth for Life
    By Michael Moyer | April 17, 2014

Pseudo-Earths are out there. That’s the message of today’s exciting announcement that a planet about the same size as Earth lives in its star’s habitable zone—the temperate region around a star where liquid water might flow. “For me, the impact is to prove that such planets really do exist,” said David Charbonneau, an astronomer at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Massachusetts, to Nature.

It’s an article of faith that the planets most likely to harbor life are ... More on: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...bitable-world/

Artist's vision of Kepler-186f
    Image courtesy NASA Ames/SETI Institute/JPL-Caltech
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Silver Member

Realistically, the universe is too vast and it's probably not too far off in our distant future that we find out there are many Earth-Twins, and not too far off from that time, we may find they are booming with life.

Silver Member

Powdered Alcohol Coming To The US?

"Humans have been enjoying alcohol for thousands of years in a variety of forms, but one aspect has always remained constant: it was liquid. Inventor Mark Phillips has created a product that could revolutionize what we think about cocktails and gives a whole new meaning to ‘dry martini’: powdered alcohol. The product, called Palcohol, has just gained approval from the U.S. Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB).

To turn Palcohol into your favorite adult beverage, you just add the powdered alcohol (which comes in a package sort of like a sugar packet) to five ounces of water. It currently comes in six varieties: rum, vodka, cosmopolitan, mojito, margarita, and lemon drop. Swapping out the water for a different mixer (such as soda or juice) can personalize the drink to suit an individual’s taste preference.

Many are excited because Palcohol could be discretely brought in to places where liquor is not available or exorbitantly priced, such as sporting events, concerts, movie theaters, airplanes, cruise ships, and the like. However, it is for this precise reason that many are opposing its availability.

One of the first questions to be brought up regarding the product was if it could be snorted. The short answer is yes, but it’s a terrible idea. The Palcohol website says this about snorting: “We have seen comments about goofballs wanting to snort it. Don't do it! It is not a responsible or smart way to use the product. To take precautions against this action, we've added volume to the powder so it would take more than a half of a cup of powder to get the equivalent of one drink up your nose. You would feel a lot of pain for very little gain. Just use it the right way."

Read more and see the update at http://www.iflscience.com/chemistry/...9rCrpG1DSLY.99

I am glad they made so it couldn't be abused by adding extra powder otherwise I could see all kinds of things going bad.

Past Administrator

Re: Powdered Alcohol Coming To The US?

Quote Originally Posted by Godric View Post
    ....I am glad they made so it couldn't be abused by adding extra powder otherwise I could see all kinds of things going bad.
    Some people are just plain crazy.

Short Story:

My very 1st full time job was in a machine shop. We made lots of different parts using 20~40 ton punch presses, multi-spindle indexing bar stock milling machines, etc...

Anyhoot, I worked in the "Deburring & Degreasing" dept. with another guy fresh out of the army, I'll call him Fred (as I don't remember names well). The shops small parts immersion/vapor degreaser used Trichloroethylene. One day Fred says he wants to get high but he doesn't have any weed. Soooo, Fred walks over to the degreaser's vapor chamber, the section of the machine that heats the trichlor to vaporize it, opens it and starts inhaling the trichlor!!!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast