Thread: Would it be terribly wrong to leave boinc running on my work computer?

Gold Member

Would it be terribly wrong to leave boinc running on my work computer?

So I got a new job and I know they probably won't replace my position for months, since it took that long to replace it with me. Would it be horrible of me to leave boinc installed and running on my last day?

Gold Member

Re: Would it be terribly wrong to leave boinc running on my work computer?

A couple years ago, a guy who was #1 in overall BOINC credit was sued by his employer to recoup the lost money for electricity, cooling, etc. even though he had a verbal OK to run BOINC on the district machines from his boss. They eventually came to some type of agreement and dropped the case against him, but it wasn't pretty. If you run BOINC at work, get something in writing giving you permission to do so -- unless you own the company that is.

If they know you have it installed and were OK with that, then leave it. Just make sure you don't have it set to save your password anywhere or else someone could get to your account and change the email, passwords, etc. If you didn't have official (written) approval, I would definately uninstall it.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

Eep, that sounds disturbing. Yeah I'll remove it then.

Gold Member

It's not a good idea, but if you're going to do it, use a livecd. Then, take the cd with you when you leave. Schedule internet only during non-business hours.

Also, it's not a good idea.

I had a close call. Fortunately, I used a livecd. When they came to get the computer, which belonged to a recently departed co-worker, they started it up and checked all the running processes before shutting it down. Nothing was ever installed, so nothing started up.

By the way, did we mention it's not a good idea.
    6r39 7r199

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    It's not a good idea, but if you're going to do it, use a livecd. Then, take the cd with you when you leave. Schedule internet only during non-business hours.

Also, it's not a good idea.

I had a close call. Fortunately, I used a livecd. When they came to get the computer, which belonged to a recently departed co-worker, they started it up and checked all the running processes before shutting it down. Nothing was ever installed, so nothing started up.

By the way, did we mention it's not a good idea.
    I sort of get the feeling you are trying to tell me something, something about it not being a good idea? Don't worry, I won't. It just seemed somewhat tempting.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by artemis8 View Post
    I sort of get the feeling you are trying to tell me something, something about it not being a good idea? Don't worry, I won't. It just seemed somewhat tempting.
    Without a doubt, it is tempting.
    6r39 7r199