Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot seem to get GPU tasks for Einstein

Past Administrator

Cannot seem to get GPU tasks for Einstein

Can anyone please decipher this for me? http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu//host_s...s/5444/5444535 Thanks!

I am able to get tons of CPU WUs on my rigs, but cannot get any GPU WUs to download after about 30+ hours of waiting and trying at different times, etc. This is happening on both ATI and CUDA rigs.
    Some setting must be wrong, but I can't figure out what?

Diamond Member

Re: Cannot seem to get GPU tasks for Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Can anyone please decipher this for me? http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu//host_s...s/5444/5444535 Thanks!

I am able to get tons of CPU WUs on my rigs, but cannot get any GPU WUs to download after about 30+ hours of waiting and trying at different times, etc. This is happening on both ATI and CUDA rigs.
    Some setting must be wrong, but I can't figure out what?
    How about posting a picture of you project preferences page?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Hi Z, thanks for responding. My rigs are connected to the Hydra account - just the default setting.

Here is a similar error I am getting referred to on the rig with ATI GPUs: http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu//host_s...s/5444/5444532

Diamond Member

Seriously, a picture of the page please? No idea what "default settings" means.

Edit: Looks like the host with the first link posted, got some GPU tasks.
    Last edited by zombie67; 06-14-12 at 08:56 PM.

Past Administrator

I will get to it in a second here, sorry, I thought you had the login info for the Hydra, I guess not. Al McAdams PMed me - the CUDA problem was old driver - that is fixed. Tried to download and install the new ATI driver just in case same problem there, but that is strange...it all uninstalled and installed just fine - but it is still saying Catalyst 12.3 instead of 12.4??? I dunno. I've got a meeting I'm supposed to be at in 1/2 an hour, but I'll try to get it resolved here.
    Thanks everyone.

Past Administrator

Diamond Member

Thanks for the picture. Everything looks good there.

In any case, it looks you are getting GPU tasks now. And yes, there are certain driver and BOINC client versions which are not allowed on Einstein. See here for more:

http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_thread.php?id=9354

Past Administrator

Ah, OK. So there must still be a driver conflict or something of that nature on Puma w/ the ATI cards. Cheetah, with the 2 CUDA cards is pulling WUs fine now, after I updated the nVidia driver like Al suggested. Guess it's time to put on the nerd hat and see what's up with the ATI rig... Something is definitely weird though, because it appeared to uninstall 12.3 Catalyst drivers just fine...rebooted, and then installed 12.4...rebooted again, and then checked it - still says 12.3 Catalyst for some strange reason.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Ah, OK. So there must still be a driver conflict or something of that nature on Puma w/ the ATI cards. Cheetah, with the 2 CUDA cards is pulling WUs fine now, after I updated the nVidia driver like Al suggested. Guess it's time to put on the nerd hat and see what's up with the ATI rig... Something is definitely weird though, because it appeared to uninstall 12.3 Catalyst drivers just fine...rebooted, and then installed 12.4...rebooted again, and then checked it - still says 12.3 Catalyst for some strange reason.
    That's a known issue. 12.4 IS actually installed. AMD just forgot to update the version number in the registry. They say it will be fixed with the next release which, by the way, will no longer be monthly although they are keeping the YY.MM naming format.There's some patch somewhere you can try but I didn't figure it was worth it as the CAL and OpenCL driver versions prove it is actually 12.4 installed.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator
    Thanks, Slicker, that makes sense then. The thing I can't figure out though, is why the ATI rig can't pull GPU WUs. Got the CUDA WUs coming in fine now on the other rig...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast