Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Louisiana

Hello from Louisiana

Hi everyone, my name is Jeremy. I've been running Seti@Home and BOINC on and off for the last few years now. Just got a new machine, so I wanted to test it out. Thanks for having me as part of the team!

Gold Member

Re: Hello from Louisiana

Welcome and don't be a stranger. We have a very friendly and knowledgeable team here and everyone is willing to help if you have questions. Also if possible and you would like to we run Freehal and Wuprop as non cpu intensive projects. Just a few extra points for you and the team. Just attach through Boinc and they will run alongside any other project you run.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Past Admin

Welcome to the boards and thank you for choosing SETI.USA!!! Take a look around and stay awhile.

Got a question about BOINC running on my computer...

Is it something that will cause the computer to work harder over time? I know with my old computer, when I'd run BOINC the fans would start running noticeably louder. I was afraid that the thing would end up overheating or something. With this new computer, it doesn't sound like it's running any louder or anything, but I wasn't sure. I'd like for this desktop to last a while (the other one ran for 8 years). Thanks!

BlkJack-21

Welcome to the boards Jeremy

Gold Member

Welcome to the team and boards. Glad to have you here.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by bonnjer View Post

Is it something that will cause the computer to work harder over time? I know with my old computer, when I'd run BOINC the fans would start running noticeably louder. I was afraid that the thing would end up overheating or something. With this new computer, it doesn't sound like it's running any louder or anything, but I wasn't sure. I'd like for this desktop to last a while (the other one ran for 8 years). Thanks!
    BOINC tasks everything about your computer, no doubt about it. The more things are used the sooner they will wear out, just how it works.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by bonnjer View Post

Is it something that will cause the computer to work harder over time?
    No. It will just work until it breaks. No faster, no slower.

Running anything "all out" and all the time will take a toll. How much depends upon the components inside. For example, a store bought PC will have a power supply that is just barely large enough to run the components. Even the "gamer" machines often have a minimal power supply. The power supply will have to run at 100% to meet power demands. It won't last all that long. Build your own computer and/or purchase an aftermarket power supply where at max load, it will only be running at 60% power and it will last a long, long time as well as use less electricity doing it.

The CPU cooler will be a stock Intel unit which, while cheap, really doesn't work well. Put on a really good CPU cooler and the fan won't have to run at as high of a speed as with a cheap one. Less fan noise and less power used by the fan.

The computer cases often have locations where additional case fans may be added. Add them. The less heat inside, the longer the rest of the computer will last. And, fans are cheap.

However, by the time you think about upgrading after 8 years, my system will be at least 16 times faster than yours and require only 30-50% of the electricity to run assuming tech developments continue at their current pace. If you calculate the bang for the buck, you may find that waiting 8 years really doesn't pay. Caution: you may find yourself like me where I keep buying new ones but never shut the old ones down either -- like my 9 year old AMD Athlon 3200+ which still crunches 24/7.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Silver Member

Welcome to the team and message boards! Glad to have you here.

Platinum Member

Welcome to the team Jeremy!

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast