Thread: Outage

Advisor - Stateside Division

Outage

Lost power. We tied the record high for the day here in Raleigh - 105F (airport), got to 108F on my deck. Quite a few lost power by the sounds of it and we were out for 2 hours or so. Everything is just about back now...

Past Admin

Re: Outage

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    Lost power. We tied the record high for the day here in Raleigh - 105F (airport), got to 108F on my deck. Quite a few lost power by the sounds of it and we were out for 2 hours or so. Everything is just about back now...
    Ouch!! I was complaining about our high of 94 here.

Administrator
    I feel your pain Bok. I had to shut down most of my gpu crunching yesterday because of heat in NC right now. 10am and it's already grossly HOT!

Been out and done everything I need to do outdoors already.. I'm hiding in the house the rest of the day. Forecast is for 107F! Which would break the alltime high...

Gold Member

Been out and done everything I need to do outdoors already.. I'm hiding in the house the rest of the day. Forecast is for 107F! Which would break the alltime high...
    We reached a 114F last year. We've been averaging around the dollar mark here for a while. Seeing a lot of shredded tires on the roads, not all from trucks. I'm just glad I just got some new ones right before "winter" hit.

I may need to think about shutting down a slow GPU or two. This 6 core Hydra head is keeping my office at around 85 (which is on the other side of the wall as the thermostat).

It's currently 98 and I'm getting ready to work on my daughter's van.
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

Yep been steamy around here in Michigan. On the 28th we hit 99F.

The garage were I keep 3 systems runs 6~15 degrees warmer then the air temp. Had to shut down one since its an open case but doesn't get any direct cooling.

Yay for Summer!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Brother-in-law is in Wash DC and has been told up to 7 days before his power is restored. We lost power here momentarily, but 4 hours AFTER the storm, Comcast went down for almost a day. That's still better than the data center at work where, after losing the primary A/C last week, it is now cooled with 5 portable A/C units -- each the size of a double door refrigerator. Then they lost power and realized only two of them were wired to the generator. Talk about people scurrying around trying to figure out how to run three additional 60A 240V curcuits. Just getting over to the data center to power down non-essential equipment took forever since half the stop lights are out and drivers are too dumb, too young, or too impatient to remember how 4-way stop signs work.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Brother-in-law is in Wash DC and has been told up to 7 days before his power is restored. We lost power here momentarily, but 4 hours AFTER the storm, Comcast went down for almost a day. That's still better than the data center at work where, after losing the primary A/C last week, it is now cooled with 5 portable A/C units -- each the size of a double door refrigerator. Then they lost power and realized only two of them were wired to the generator. Talk about people scurrying around trying to figure out how to run three additional 60A 240V curcuits. Just getting over to the data center to power down non-essential equipment took forever since half the stop lights are out and drivers are too dumb, too young, or too impatient to remember how 4-way stop signs work.
    4-way stop sign? Is there an app for that? I don't know how to do anything unless my phone tells me.
    6r39 7r199

Thought it was the PSU that went bad overnight in the webserver, as the CPU fan would spin up for a couple of seconds only, but it turns out it was a memory slot. For now I've taken out two sticks of Ram (still got 8Gb) and it's booting just fine.

Will need to bring it down again later today to put it all back together properly, so don;t worry if you see another outage at some point, it shouldn't be long.

Bok

Thanks for the hard caring, Bok. Glad it wasn't a hack however, the timing really was ugly.