Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Awesome Thing on the Internet Ever

Platinum Member

Most Awesome Thing on the Internet Ever

If you've been playing with computers for a long time like i have (by a "long time" i mean 30+ years) you're going to love this. You can run Windows 1.01 in your browser You can run the basic installed programs and everything. Even click Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot into DOS and play with all the commands and programs that came with it.

AND! If you remember how to code in BASIC or BASICA, you can write and execute your own programs! I tried it. Was very awesome. Don't forget to change to SCREEN 1 to use the 4 color graphics! There are even a few programs on B: you can run in BASICA. Maybe you remember that game Donkey where you were a racecar and had to dodge donkeys in the road? Good times...

Here's the link: http://jsmachines.net/demos/pc/cga-w...cga-win101.xml

The PCjs simulation above is configured for a clock speed of 4.77Mhz, with 256kB of RAM and a CGA display, using the original IBM PC Model 5160 ROM BIOS and CGA font ROM.

This PC XT configuration also includes a 10MB hard disk with Windows 1.01 pre-installed.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 10-28-13 at 09:04 PM.

Gold Member

Re: Most Awesome Thing on the Internet Ever

This is going to be a time vampire. I LOVE it!

Vic

Gold Member

I think I still have a box setting in the back room with win 1.01 on it, and I'm sure I still have a 8086 which I think was pre windows. They have been setting there for years, they worked when I put them back there don't have a clue if they would today. I still have my 2nd laptop which has 2 floppy drives and no HD. I let my first portable computer go, it had a built in printer with 4 colored pins in it.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by shiva View Post
    I think I still have a box setting in the back room with win 1.01 on it, and I'm sure I still have a 8086 which I think was pre windows. They have been setting there for years, they worked when I put them back there don't have a clue if they would today. I still have my 2nd laptop which has 2 floppy drives and no HD. I let my first portable computer go, it had a built in printer with 4 colored pins in it.
    I thought the pre windows was DOS.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Gold Member

I gave my son a Sony MBC 555 that has 2 5.25 inch floppys and ran DOS 1.25. It also had all the "Star" programs. Calcstar, Wordstar etc. Don't know if he still has it but since he is like his mother and never gets rid of anything I'd be willing to bet he does.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Gold Member

yea pre windows is DOS, and I think I have a box of 5.25 floppies around here too. want some?
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    I thought the pre windows was DOS.
    There were machines long before the IBM PC (approx. mid 80s) and that is where "mainstream" DOS came from. Machines like Imsai 8080 or Altair (1975) ... the OS was CP/M.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    There were machines long before the IBM PC (approx. mid 80s) and that is where "mainstream" DOS came from. Machines like Imsai 8080 or Altair (1975) ... the OS was CP/M.
    Thanks Bryan but I don't think I have that skill anymore, only curiosity my friend.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by shiva View Post
    yea pre windows is DOS, and I think I have a box of 5.25 floppies around here too. want some?
    Technically, Windows was still DOS until around the year 2000 (after Windows 95/98/ME). The DOS part was just hidden well.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Technically, Windows was still DOS until around the year 2000 (after Windows 95/98/ME). The DOS part was just hidden well.
    Yeah, base memory, upper memory... Who would EVER need more than 640kb of memory? Remember trying to run Tie Fighter or games like that, having to make a special boot floppy to preserve enough base memory, while 8MB was sitting there unused.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast