Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BOINC GPU Compatibility List

Groundhog@SETI.USA

Re: BOINC GPU Compatibility List

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    Which cards to you have???

Give us a holler - and we will point you!!
    I have one system with an nVidia GF 8500 GT that I have running Aqua, QMC, SETI and PrimeGrid (usually only on PG for challenges). That card isn't double precision. I'm not sure what they mean about Compute Capability 1.3. This motherboard says it has 2 x PCI-E x 16 and 2 x PCI-E x 1. Does this mean I can add another card and run two? This is an ASUS P5K Premium.

I have another system with an ATI Radeon HD 4650 that runs MilkyWay, Seti, Rosetta and PrimeGrid (also for challenges). That card isn't double precision either.

My old XP system has a GeForce 7600 GS so it won't run any of the GPU stuff.

The second and third systems are AGP. Not much capability to expand there.
    Last edited by Groundhog@SETI.USA; 12-05-10 at 02:42 PM.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog@SETI.USA View Post
    I have one system with an nVidia GF 8500 GT that I have running Aqua, QMC, SETI and PrimeGrid (usually only on PG for challenges). That card isn't double precision. I'm not sure what they mean about Compute Capability 1.3. This motherboard says it has 2 x PCI-E x 16 and 2 x PCI-E x 1. Does this mean I can add another card and run two? This is an ASUS P5K Premium.

I have another system with an ATI Radeon HD 4650 that runs MilkyWay, Seti, Rosetta and PrimeGrid (also for challenges). That card isn't double precision either.

My old XP system has a GeForce 7600 GS so it won't run any of the GPU stuff.

The second and third systems are AGP. Not much capability to expand there.
    Well. The 4650 can do collatz for sure. I believe you will be able to do around 30-40.000 with that card. DL lastest Ati drivers and attach to Collatz. Go to your account settings and mark the box "use ati GPU if present" and UNCHECK CPU and Nvidia. You will now do Collatz WU´s on your GPU.

I guess that the 8500GT can do PG....Not much....But a good estimate would be somewhere around 7- 10.000....
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28´th December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

Compute Capability just refers to nVidia's form of parallel processing which is what allows their GPUs to crunch. ATI's is called Stream or Stream Computing.
    CUDA is nVidia's programming language and framework for getting their GPU's. ATI abandoned their original programming language and is now pushing (Very Very hard) OpenCL as the preferred and non-proprietary (meaning free to use) programming language.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Groundhog@SETI.USA

Thanks guys. Any ideas about updating that ASUS with a second card?

Also, what version of BOINC should I be running? Some of the systems haven't been updated for a while and aren't on the latest version. Are there any enhanced version still available? I remember some time in the past upgrading BOINC and all uncompleted work was lost. I don't want that to happen again.
    Last edited by Groundhog@SETI.USA; 12-05-10 at 05:38 PM.

Platinum Member

Thanks guys. Any ideas about updating that ASUS with a second card?

Also, what version of BOINC should I be running? Some of the systems haven't been updated for a while and aren't on the latest version. Are there any enhanced version still available? I remember some time in the past upgrading BOINC and all uncompleted work was lost. I don't want that to happen again.
    Yeah, you can run multiple GPUs in the same machine. Just make sure they are both NVidia or both ATI, or else you're going to have a hell of a time getting it to run.

You should run 6.10.58. Newer version of BOINC actually see ATI cards, which makes crunching on them easier. It *shouldn't* kill all your WUs, but if you want, you can abort them (so the project can recycle them faster), run your machine dry, and reinstall a newer version of BOINC.

Platinum Member

Promoted to the front page. Going to start working on the FAQ entry now...

EDIT: And now there is a FAQ entry...
    Last edited by Maxwell; 12-06-10 at 01:39 AM.

Groundhog@SETI.USA

I don't know if I should continue this discussion but I got the nVidia card running PrimeGrid just fine but the ATI isn't working on Collatz. Every WU runs for 2 seconds and gets a computation error. In the messages, it says something about "3 consecutive failures fetching scheduler list". I'm running the latest Boinc and ATI drivers. I tried disconnecting from the project and reconnecting. Still no luck. I hate getting all of those WUs and sending them back with errors. Any suggestions or should I just try PrineGrid on that one also. If I need to, I can start a thread in the Collatz area or a thread in the Boinc area.

Platinum Member

I don't know if I should continue this discussion but I got the nVidia card running PrimeGrid just fine but the ATI isn't working on Collatz. Every WU runs for 2 seconds and gets a computation error. In the messages, it says something about "3 consecutive failures fetching scheduler list". I'm running the latest Boinc and ATI drivers. I tried disconnecting from the project and reconnecting. Still no luck. I hate getting all of those WUs and sending them back with errors. Any suggestions or should I just try PrineGrid on that one also. If I need to, I can start a thread in the Collatz area or a thread in the Boinc area.
    My first two thoughts:
    1. What version of BOINC are you running? If it's 6.10.xx, you should be fine...
    2. What driver version do you have for the ATI card? I'd recommend upgrading to the most recent driver...

Groundhog@SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    My first two thoughts:
    1. What version of BOINC are you running? If it's 6.10.xx, you should be fine...
    2. What driver version do you have for the ATI card? I'd recommend upgrading to the most recent driver...
    I'm running 6.10.58 of BOINC and the latest drivers from the ATI site. Detatched from Collatz and reattached. No luck.

Teratoma

I do not see DNETC@Home listed as a GPU capable project.

Also, I have a couple of Quadro FX 140M cards and I have only gotten them to crunch DNETC very early on and then something changed and and they no longer pulled any work. So, I am not sure they (or the 130/135Ms) belong on the list.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast