Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Assistance needed on freshening up a Dell

Past Admin

Re: Assistance needed on freshening up a Dell

Quote Originally Posted by denim View Post
    Thank you on the RAM! And thank you for taking the time and effort on that GPU.

GPU wise, would it be a massive drop off if I cheaped out a little and went with something like a 6200 instead of the 430? Or just suck it up and spend a few extra on the 430? Only asking because of the three slots the price difference is three times over. And should I assume a Power Supply upgrade is required to feed 3 stronger GPU's of this nature?

Edit: After reading a lot of the feedback and reviews, the 430 that John suggested sounds like the best one performance wise and is worth the money.

I am not even sure that the Nvidia 6200 can crunch!!

Anyway. Stay with the 430. These guys know their stuff. So if they tell thatīs the best buy for you - it probably is!
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Platinum Member

Shop around and you may find them a little cheaper at tigerdirect or fry's. Just remember to take into consideration whether or not you'll need to pay sales tax depending on your location vs. who you order from.

And be sure to match the model number. Zotac also makes a GT 430 PCIe version that looks almost exactly like the PCI version.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Shop around and you may find them a little cheaper at tigerdirect or fry's. Just remember to take into consideration whether or not you'll need to pay sales tax depending on your location vs. who you order from.

And be sure to match the model number. Zotac also makes a GT 430 PCIe version that looks almost exactly like the PCI version.
    The PCI-e version has more on board ram but doesn't seem to do that much more work for it.

Platinum Member

Thanks guys. Will the 430 (regardless of quantity) require a stronger PSU?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by denim View Post
    Thanks guys. Will the 430 (regardless of quantity) require a stronger PSU?
    No the both the PCI and PCI-e versions run off the slot 25 watts or something like that. I have 3 jammed in one box and didn't upgrade the psu.

Platinum Member

Talking Re: Assistance needed on freshening up a Dell

Big thank you goes out to F$ for the stick of RAM. It made a serious difference in terms of just using the computer when BOINC was running. Meaning I could have more then 2 tabs open with NFS/WUprop/FreeHal not sezing everything up.

Next step is one or two GPU's for this box.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    I am not even sure that the Nvidia 6200 can crunch!!

Anyway. Stay with the 430. These guys know their stuff. So if they tell thatīs the best buy for you - it probably is!
    A 6200 cannot crunch. The first nVidia GPUs that could crunch were the 8400 series which start with a whopping 16 stream processors at really low speeds and take longer than a single core on an i7 to finish a mini_collatz workunit.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Admin

I just scavenged a Dell desktop pc on the junkyard today. It has a P4 @ 3.06Ghz...I am guessing itīs this CPU:

http://ark.intel.com/products/27499/...he-533-MHz-FSB

Can that old beast run in your Dell? If yes Iīll ship it to you..
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Andoh

I have one of these cards in a Dell pc that had on board video card and no agp slot. It's a hyperthread enabled cpu. Between the vid card and cpu it does enough work to make it worthwhile. I have a pci slot open and another Zotac in the box. This may sound dumb but can I just plug the other card in and continue to march or is there more to it to get the extra card to crunch WU's?

Steve

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andoh View Post
    I have one of these cards in a Dell pc that had on board video card and no agp slot. It's a hyperthread enabled cpu. Between the vid card and cpu it does enough work to make it worthwhile. I have a pci slot open and another Zotac in the box. This may sound dumb but can I just plug the other card in and continue to march or is there more to it to get the extra card to crunch WU's?

Steve
    After installing the card, you will need to install the video driver for it. That should all that is needed though.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast