Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Assistance needed on freshening up a Dell

Administrator
    I never had any problem getting 2-430s to play nice in a one box, but haven't tried it since the 285 series nvidia drivers. I never tried 3. The psu should be able to power 3, they're about 50w per card. Dell mbs can be problematic sometimes, so I see that as a more limiting factor than the power supply.

Edit: It would also be advisable to be able to check the amp draw at the wall before adding the 2nd and/or 3rd card. Then again, you might want to believe nv, in which case the 22a rail is only enough for 1 430.
    Last edited by Al; 03-18-13 at 02:28 PM.

Platinum Member

Red face Re: Assistance needed on freshening up a Dell

Thanks for the info/heads up. One thing I am worried about is the heat from the single 430 now on PG PPS so far. A second one right next to it at close proximity with no fans on it, might be interesting. If I cannot get a 3rd one going, I will let it go cheap or donate it to the cause.

Administrator
    Even the 430s with fans struggle with cooling when placed next to each other. Good luck with that and do watch the temps. I think the max is 98c, but I prefer mid 70s if possible. Most of the math projects run pretty warm.

Past Administrator

Re: Assistance needed on freshening up a Dell

22A on the 12V rail is equal to ~ 264W. TDP (max the card will draw) for a 430 is 49W. In *theory* you should have more than plenty of juice on that PSU for all three of these cards.

Heat will be your biggest factor. I'm shocked Dell even sold a mobo with 3 PCI-e slots to be honest (or are we talking the regular PCI version here?) At any rate, watch the temps as Al said, don't worry about the PSU, With the 430 being such a low TDP GPU, the temps will get you before you lose power.

Do you have a case with a side fan in it? If so, make the fan blow IN, directly over the GPU cards, and then make sure you have an exhaust fan blowing OUT somewhere on the back of the case. If you don't have a side fan, please consider modifying the case - literally just cut a hole in the side and screw a fan in there! We can help.

Platinum Member

Currently I have the whole side panel off to monitor the heat on the GT 430. Right now, it is just hot enough that you cannot keep your hand on it at all. It may cool off some one it gets to some Moo work. If I have a chance tomorrow, I will give the second card a go.

Past Administrator

Hi Denim, you should really monitor the temp with something like MSI Afterburner, it is a free download. You can watch the temp go up and down as you load the GPU and/or unload it in real time.
    Depending on the way your case is, sometimes a side fan actively blowing air in works even better than the side open...it just depends. Sounds like you're doing good though. Might try some collatz on there too, it will most likely run cooler than PG.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Hi Denim, you should really monitor the temp with something like MSI Afterburner, it is a free download. You can watch the temp go up and down as you load the GPU and/or unload it in real time.
    Depending on the way your case is, sometimes a side fan actively blowing air in works even better than the side open...it just depends. Sounds like you're doing good though. Might try some collatz on there too, it will most likely run cooler than PG.
    +++1

AB works on my 430. And yeah, my 430 runs warm because the case its in, Antec SX-1040BII, doesn't support side panel fans.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    +++1

AB works on my 430. And yeah, my 430 runs warm because the case its in, Antec SX-1040BII, doesn't support side panel fans.
    No side fan? Sounds like an easy modification for you...come on!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    No side fan? Sounds like an easy modification for you...come on!
    It is but.... I love that case and so decided awhile back to keep it stock.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Thanks for the AB suggestion. I will check it out. To me, to the touch MooWrapper seems to run even hotter then PG PPS. But I will know for sure once I dl Afterburner. If it says the temps are not too bad, I will put the second 430 tonight.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast