Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: You know you've Boinc'ed too much

Past Administrator

Re: You know you've Boinc'ed too much

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    When I see this...

Attachment 91

But my brain sees it as a PC with 4x 5970s....
    WHO can afford the FUEL for that thing??? I remember when my Dad had a single Mercury BlackMax 250 outboard on our Whaler and on "cruise" it burned 16GPH. I can't imagine what that sucker above burns per hour!

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    WHO can afford the FUEL for that thing??? I remember when my Dad had a single Mercury BlackMax 250 outboard on our Whaler and on "cruise" it burned 16GPH. I can't imagine what that sucker above burns per hour!
    That picture was forwarded to me with the following "internet" story. No telling if it's true, and I usually assume it's not.

2,000 HP Outboard Inflatable ...
    Here's the latest drug runner toy from B.C ...
    This thing belted across the English Bay channel 3 times
    per week, and was just a blur on the Radar of the
    British Columbia Coast Guard.
    They were so astonished by the speed of the
    unknown craft that they brought in a special high-
    speed Helicopter to chase it.
    Drugs were found on board. Of course, you'd have to be on
    drugs to push the throttle down on this thing!!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Zytozux

Silver Member

Those boats are more common then you think. the coast guard around here run light boats with 4 300's (mod's) on them. I can deffently see the 4 video cards though!

Platinum Member

You know you've BOINC'ed too much when you watch an episode of Eureka and get really excited because they are talking about using sleeping humans as a distributed computing system...

Platinum Member

...when you read license plates that start "H##..." and your immediate thought is of a new model water cooler for the CPU.
    ...when you buy a video card because you don't want to lose all production when you have to RMA your other video cards.

Gold Member

When you are all but unemployed yet spend your entire tax return on upgrades so you can crunch more.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    When you are all but unemployed yet spend your entire tax return on upgrades so you can crunch more.
    (Yeah, I'm gonna be THAT GUY....but it's tax time, and it needs to be said at least once.)

You gave an interest free loan to the government? They (we) would not do the same for you.

Gold Member

So it is better to owe the government at the end of the year? Not sure I understand that logic. No matter how you file it will all end up the same. They will either charge you the taxes at the end of the year or you will get "some" back. I would rather get a check from them then have to write one. Yes, they get a free "loan" for the year but my tiny amount of taxes probably does not buy an F-15.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    So it is better to owe the government at the end of the year? Not sure I understand that logic. No matter how you file it will all end up the same. They will either charge you the taxes at the end of the year or you will get "some" back. I would rather get a check from them then have to write one. Yes, they get a free "loan" for the year but my tiny amount of taxes probably does not buy an F-15.
    It's not the difference to the government that matters. It is the lost interest (at worst), or lost investment gains (better) that you could have made on that money had it been in your pocket for a year, rather than theirs (ours).

Edit: Think about it this way: You could kept all the same cash you eventually ended up with anyway, PLUS a GPU paid for with the interest/gains you earned on your own money.
    Last edited by zombie67; 03-15-11 at 12:54 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast